SaltCritters.com

Echinometra mathaei?

WAH?

I noticed this little guy roaming around a few months ago. At that time it was about dime sized, and had no noticeable impact on the tank. Since then it has grown to more than the diameter of a quarter. I have noticed it chowing down on coralline algae, as well as a few other types, including hair. It's really quite pretty for an urchin, debating whether or not to keep it. It's in my MB7. It has sort of a deep blue/black base color and hazy yellow-green spines.

A second shot. The urchin is mostly nocturnal, although it comes out more when I run the tank fishless. It also has no aversion to shallow water. In these images it's actually climbing on the lip of my AC500 fuge... The spines on the top are sticking out of the water.

I also Have one that hitch hiked in my tank but I haven't taken it out. At one point I thought I killed it because somehow climed out out of tank but somehow managed to recover and come back to life when I threw the corpse back into the tank. I didnt think it would make it,

Mine is all black and about the size of a quarter. I think it snuck into the rock I took when I went to the carribean.

Are these good or bad?

Archived