Innovative Marine Aquariums

URGENT » Your help is needed to protect the hobby

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

It's come to my attention that the FAA is working to get legislation passed which could potentially damage the hobby.

From Reef Source.com: "Basically, it's another vague piece of legislation being pushed through that doesn't specifically target the aquarium trade, but has profound potential affects if passed. The FAA is looking to pass legislation that would require airlines to keep records for every animal that dies while being shipped via commercial flights. This makes sense for the dogs and cats it was intended to protect, but will have devastating impacts to the aquarium trade...So basically we have to bring the fact that inspecting fish shipments is impossible and ridiculous and that the legislation needs to specifically state that fish shipments are exempt."

Essentially, all shipments of livestock will have to be removed from their containers and inspected. This will lead to additional stress and loss.

Unfortunately there is very little time to send our comments in; the deadline is December 27th, 2002. Luckily we can submit our comments via a simple online form. All the information and a sample submission that you can 'copy and paste' from is available at: http://www.reefsource.com/CurrentCampaign.htm

After you've constructed your comments, go to http://dmses.dot.gov/submit/dspSubmission.cfm  

The docket number is FAA-2002-13378.  

Docket Existence- Does Exist

Document Title- Reports by Carriers on Incidents Involving Animals During Air Transport.

Enter your personal information

Go to the next page and type in your comments

Done.

FAA.....bastages.

Edit:

[FAA Inspector] - "Hey Bob, come here, quick. Look...um....I've gotta hit the can...can you take a look at this brine shrimp shipment and make sure they're all alive?"

[FAA Inspector #2] - "Sure Earl...I just got a hold of a shipment of dead coral. When I opened the bag, none of it was moving. Why do people ship this crap, anyway?"

Another one done.

Thanks for the info.

Chris did you post this anywhere else to get maximum impact??

It should be just a matter of adjusting the wording. Its only common sense, but unfortunately common sense and the government do not seem to get along.

hmmmmmm....

I think we all KNOW what I said.... :woot:

and DONE.

I was aware of this a few months ago, but didnt know it was getting slammed through though.: The airlines DO take a big hit when ###### gets messed up with flights. They are trying to cover bases and be profitable. If I was the Airlines, Id be squirming fer as much room as possible too.

PERHAPS IF THEY TOOK BETTER CARE IN HANDLING, THERE WOULD BE LESS CLAIMS !

dauh.. jeez.

Thanks. Please all reply.

Done. While not yet experienced in salt water, I have ordered freshwater fish and the airline companies have messed up my orders (i.e. "forgetting" to load it onto the plain, delaying delivery for a day, needless to say, I received a refund greater than that of my shipping costs : ) and I don't need them screwing around with my package even more so by "inspecting" it and shaking things around and letting out all the heat. No doubt they'd never put everything back together correctly.

I gave them my 2 cents. Hope they listen.:

I'd really like to know what inspectors are going to do when they encounter liverock. Are they going to consider it dead and toss it all out? What about corals that are retracted? Or stony corals? How are inspectors going to know the difference between healthy and dead organisms? If they inspect every "live" box, it will be chaos, and I could see it shutting down the aquarium trade for awhile.

Yes, it's been posted on RC and I gave Chris the ehads up and thank goodness he posted it! Hope all your 98 viewers who viewed this thread sent in your submissions.

Rock Anemone

Come on people, deadlines tommorow!!! Try giving the link: http://www.reefsource.com/CurrentCampaign.htm to everyone you know who has an aquarium or who cares about mail order livestock! We need as many people as we can get to help fight this. It's an easy 5 minutes to help save the hobby!

Also, if you're a member on another reefing board or other fish site that hasn't been tlaking about this, try and have them tagg it at the top for the day!

Rock Anemone;)

After I read this thread I asked two of my relatives who are members of the FAA about this. They both said that this is not as big of a deal as people are making it. I was under the understanding that all packages will be checked. After I spoke with my brother and dad they said it is for passenger shipments only. Such as if United picked up a few packages along with the baggage from the passengers on the plane. They said that it would not effect UPS, Fed-Ex, or any other "shipment" company. Only passenger airlines. Is there a large quantity of shipments that are sent on passenger airlines? Will this have a huge impact liek people are saying?

Brandon

Christopher Marks

Rux, most packages that are sent from distribution centers to local fish stores or to other distribution centers are almost always sent through airlines. Most airlines sell their extra storage space for cargo shipping purposes, and it's usually cheaper than UPS/FedEx/DLH and whatnot.

But, if it only affects people checking in packages for the flight they are riding on, there is no problem.

Chris.. no problem right NOW.. but it's common practice for a law to be put on the books, and then exploited due to some weak language...

this is happening in SoCal with some "legalized" extortion with scummy lawyers suing on behalf of a newly created "consumer watch group" company who will receive the money of their suits, and not to any true plaintifs... it's ok to have the law, as long as it's written properly... I believe this whole thing we're doing isn't to get the bill dropped, but have it re-worded.. no harm in that

I sent mine yesterday

Archived