Coral Vue Hydros

Anyone keeping Fire Shrimp?

Chromis

You hear all the time that these are very shy shrimp that will just hide all of the time. I plan on getting either 2 Skunk Cleaners or 2 Fire Shrimp. Obviously the Fire Shrimp is more attractive and when I see the tank at my LFS all the Fire Shrimp are out in the open (but then again there are only a couple hiding places in the display tank). Has anyone kept these, what do you think?

I love my fire shrimp but he is very shy. He comes out at feedings and if you're not directly in front you will also see him. Although you won't see much of them it's worth it to catch a glimpse. They are beautiful.

Week 2 with our fire shrimp, and after the first day, he found a cozy little hiding place near the back and all we see anymore are his antennae.

But they are beautiful creatures...

some skunk cleaners are shy too though. my girlfriends hid for the first few months and still doesnt like to be out in the open. others i have seen act like they love attention. my friends seemed like it was performing when you stood in front of the tank. it was fun to watch. so i guess part of it is just individual personality. i dont have any experience with fire shrimp though.

In my reading I keep finding references that say shrimp are more bold in groups. I'm planning on having 3 cleaner shrimp in my tank (I don't know why but 3 seems like the best number to me. I guess it's not really a group until you get 3 =). Two might work though. Give it a try and good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a fire shrimp in a 7 gal bowfront for 3 months now. He is very active and always in view. something funny when I reach my hand into clean glass or add a new frag he latchs onto my finger and picks at my skin as if I were a fish at a cleaning station. Very funny behavior get one they are great.

Archived