Coral Vue Hydros

Carbon in filter?

inkblue

Yes, Chem-pure. Becuse if you use it you don't have to do water changes anymore.

That's what the package actually says if I recall. Anyone here put that to the test yet? I'm not going to.

Despite the outlandish statement they make about it, it's a good carbon medium for your filter IMO.

Carbon is a must if you keep "leather" corals, but even if you are not it will have a noticable effect on water clarity. Just remember to change it reguarly.

I use carbon at the end of every week. Carbon does not last that long, usually only a few days so I only use it for 3 days of a week right before I do a water change. I do my weekely water changes on Tuesdays and i add carbon every friday night and take it out whenever I do a water change.

I really wouldnt follow the instructions of Chem-pure. Even if it can take out as much nutrients and toxins as it says it can, water changes are essential to add back much needed trace elements and nother things in your water that is needed. In nanos, waters changes are the most important thing you can do for your tank.

Sparkling_Surfer

I don't run any carbon in my 12DX...I put polyfiber in every week and change it out during water changes. This keeps the water crystal clear ;) I don't believe in lazy ways in reefkeeping (such as Chemipure)...but that's just my opinion.

Archived