Cultivated Reef

Old Yeller No!!!!!!!!!!

EPICTANKHERE

Once again my ex-roomate needs help. he has a an overstocked 120gallon super high nitrate softie/predator tank. He has a beloved puffer fish that is on it's last legs (or um fins). The poor little guy is half dead but still breathing, definately on deaths door. The guy is almost in tears but knows what must be done. We are just trying to figure out the most humane and least painful way to take care of it. Right now he is leaning towards put in bag and smack against the wall very very hard method. But i fear what if it doesn't do the trick then that will be really cruel way to go. Trust me whwn i say this fish is very very loved and this needs to be done in the least painfully way for the fish and my friend. Any suggestions? thanks.

No it still has it's fins, i meant the poor guy is half dead. I agree the smack is NOT the best method. That's why i amasking for help as his proxie. This fish is large probably around 7 inches long and 3-4inches around. Please do not confuse my stubburn 'go big' ex-roomate with me. I am just trying to help him.

wow fast reply's! Thanks everyone.

Been trying to nurse the poor guys for months just not working, it obviously too late apparently ( i havn't seen him) but i know my friend wouldn't give up on him that easily.

I said the freezer method to him as well. I wounder if that is slow and or painful though?

I don't think the butcher block is plausible - to much emotional damage for the executioner

Originally posted by reef 'n ale

Put it in a bag, then off to the freezer. Best idea I can think of.

Rob

Ya, thats what the vet told us to do (when my pet mouse got a big @$$ tumor on his butt...and he was like convulsing...) the vet said either in the freezer or pay $40 to have him put to sleep (we payed the $40..felt better about it)..anyway...call a vet and maybe they can do that on the fish (putting it to sleep)...its worth a try...right

Yes, that will happen, but I bet the animal involved would be dead before the blood actually begins to freeze.

I have nothing to back that up though...

Rob

that's okay, thanks. i am going to tell him to take it to the vet he's already spent hundred trying to keep this guy alive. Could you imagine chopping off the head of a beloved pet? There is no way i could pull that.

neither could i....i cant even do that to any kind of animals..(except bugs) ....my friends run over toads...they call 'em dog killers....poor things.....anyway..i think the vet was the best option

I always recommend Rapid Deceleration Therapy to put a fish down.

Freezing is a lot more painful than many people think. But, it is the most popular choice since you don't have to feel like you killed it, or watch it die.

I'd say chop it's head off, but jeeze, I could never do that. RDT is the next best thing, IMO.

There are some fish I wouldn't recommend the RDT method, like freshwater fancy goldfish. They become soemthing of a live gernade. So, yeah, if it's similar, like a puffer or something, RDT may not be a great idea.

Archived