inTank Media Baskets

mushrooms shriveling

tonkadawg

This morning on my way out the door, I noticed that my shrooms had really shrunk and shriveled up. I hate to say it, but this is the first time I really have paid close attention to my tank first thing in the morning.

I am wondering if this is because they are used to being in the dark and are aclimating to the lights being turned on? (When I do power up, I first turn on the blue light, then distant room light, the direct room light, and then the white light on the tank - trying to gradually increase lighting in the tank and not blast if full bright) I am also thinking that this might be normal due to the ph swing that I read about taking place when the tank goes dark. Or could this be an indication of something bigger? Last tested the water on Sunday - everything was in line, and didn't have time this morning, but will test again later this afternoon. The GSP was looking fine, as some of the polyps were starting to come out, same with the red finger coral.

they opened up, but are a lot smaller than they were originally. I did test the water yesterday - everything looks fine:

ph 8.3

ammonia <.25

nitrite 0.0

nitrate 5.0

SG 1.025

temp 81 deg.

will try to get 'before and after' pictures up - may help explain what is going on.

Here is a picture I took this afternoon, but judging from the other thread about mushrooms, this appears to be normal. I circled two of the mushrooms in question. As I earlier stated, these guys were huge, then one morning I noticed they were 3/4 of their original size and haven't really returned to their full size, regardless of what time it is. I may just be over-reacting or maybe not - what do you think????

I haven't made any changes to what I have been doing and yesterday they looked great!!! For the others out there that appear to have problems with their mushrooms, I have mine placed towards the bottom of the tank (not as strong light) and lightly protected by LR from direct current.

I am guessing that it is natural for them to close up from time to time???

technoshaman

Oddly enough I checked my shrooms on the way out the door today and one of the smallest had about 1/5 of it missing and was partially closed. I am wondering if my peppermints are gnawing on them, it's either them or my mithrax crab.

If it looks worse you can frag/divide these in half? And if so do you need to keep them attached to original substrate or can you get them to reattach to another piece. Also would you have to cut bilaterally along the mouth/center?

I have no idea about fragging, but have been curious as to how this is done safely.

Anyone have a link or can explain exactly how to frag a coral, and what corals are safe to frag?

Archived