Coral Vue Hydros

It's everywhere!

nd12nc

Hey all, my tank's been up and running for about three months. In the past few weeks I've had a terrible problem with what I am told are diatoms. They're brown and form a carpet over the rock and the sand, it looks terrible:x I try to suck it off the rocks and sand but within a few days it's back. I wanted to know if anyone had experience with this and if they knew how to get rid of it. Oh by the way, i've had my water tested and it's fine. I also use purified water. Any kind of help would be great. Thanks.

I had my water tested at two different LFS and both said it was fine. I don't remember the exact perams that they told me. My water comes from a purifier not sure what kind it is. It's not RO but it's almost as good.

yah, i've had the same problem with my 5g. It hade NO flow. If you don't have enough flow, get more, that stuff will never go away unless you do (that's my experience). I'm sure it has to be a combination w/water parameters too. Too many phosphates?

I HAVE A 1OG, and i have about 300gph runnin through there. also if i were you i would use/buy only ro/di water. you can buy it from wally world for like 60cents/gallon.

(but you have to stay on them to keep up the membranes in the filter.)

yea, i've been looking into puttin a powerhead into my tank, but they're all so dang expensive at the LFS. What kind or kinds would you guys recomend?

You have so much light on the tank anything that is slightly off will have a big effect. I would check the water source, RO or bottled. The other question is what are you running in the filter you have?

To get some water movement check out a Rio pump or Mini jet 606...these pumps are usually around 12-15 bucks.

Since you are not using the powerhead to power anything, I would get one the above mentioned pumps. See if you can get a flared nozzle for the pump or you may want to hook up a spray bar to get even flow over a wider area.

Neon, right now in my filter i have everything stock. The foam insert, a carbon bag, and some ceramic rings. I clean the filter regualarly too.

your tank is still fairly new...this is just a stage for the tank...also increase the flow as people said, and check for phosphate....filtered water and ro water is completely different...just a heads up...

check your phosphates, dont leave your lights on more than 10 hours a day,up the flow. i had that problem 4 the first week and then i got a emrald crab and phosphate stripper

Diatoms sometime bloom and go away on their own accord but reducing the level of nutrients in your system cannot hurt. That being said there are several things that you can do to reduce nutrients:

Reduce Inputs:

1) Find a source of reverse osmosis water. If unable to find RO water then use distilled water. Most grocery stores carry large bottles of distilled for water coolers. Be aware that distilled water usually has types of phosphate that won't show up on test kits and may also contain traces of copper. Make sure to test for phosphate and copper before use. Distilled is much better than tap water but do try to find a source of reverse osmosis water.

2) Make sure that salt mix is advertised as phosphate and nitrate free.

3) Feed only when necessary and if feeding dry foods then only use products advertised as phosphate free.

4) Experiment with reducing the time that lights are on. Drop an hour and run things for a week and see what happens.

Reduce nutrients already present:

1) Get a bag of "Phos Guard" or other phosphate reducing resin and put it in one of the chambers. Change it according to the vendor's instructions. This is very important if using grocery store distilled water as this water usually contains some level of phosphates.

2) Keep the bottoms of chambers clean. Siphon them out as a part of your cleanup routine.

3) Consider ditching the carbon pouch. Carbon removes trace elements and can sometimes release phosphates back into the water.

4) Consider ditching those ceramic rings and replacing them with live rock rubble. My chamber2 is filled halfway with live rock rubble. On top of the live rock rubble I have a clump of chaetomorpha algae. I noticed a serious reduction in the amount of algae growing on my glass when I put in the chaeto.

5) Consider running the foam filter part time. Use it only as a mechanical filter when performing your cleanup routine and kicking up alot of debris. After water is cleared, remove the foam filter, clean it and then allow it to dry. If the chamber bottoms are regularly siphoned then there isnt a need for a fulltime mechanical filter.

6) Increase your flow. I simply removed the directional nozzle from my 24g nanocube's bulkhead and flow improved dramatically. There are many threads around here about flow solutions for each size of nanocube.

7) Make sure that there aren't any dead spots from the way that live rock is stacked. An open structure is much better for flow than the pile o' rock.

Remove existing algae/cyano/diatoms:

1) Mix up the cleanup crew. Some snails will not touch cyano/diatoms. My Nerite snails dont go near cyano/diatoms but my Trochus snails seem to enjoy munching nuisance algae, cyano, and diatoms. A mix of Nerite/Trochus/Astrea snails is probably optimal.

Sheesh. Long enough aye? Hope that this long-winded opinion helps. Good Luck.

Originally posted by jakes12

check your phosphates, dont leave your lights on more than 10 hours a day,up the flow. i had that problem 4 the first week and then i got a emrald crab and phosphate stripper

Sorry, i'm a newb, what is a phosphate stripper?

Archived