Coral Vue Hydros

Small glass PICO tanks on clearance at Petco

chipmaker

My good friend who works at Petco in town called me and told me that their small all glass tanks made by Ocean Free are on clearance sale....There are two types, one comes with a hob filter with adjustable flow which is fine for a small PICO setup.....The front edges of the glass tank are curved, but they call it a curved tank....just like A JBT nano cube is made. It holds approximately 1 1/2 gal....... and is priced at $6.18....The other tank also made by Ocean Free is square corners all glass and selling for $3.68 but does not have a hob included, and its a bit deeper overall, slightly smaller foot print than the curved corner tank is.....but probably holds about the same amount of water. Both tanks include a clamp on type light which is virtually useless for anything saltwater wise, but you can easily add a Red Sea Dragon Fly or Aqua Vase clamp on type light thats dirt cheap to buy. The first light comes with a 7 watt but the ballast is rated for a 9 watt. The other comes with a 13 watt........and both bulbs for those lights are available in all actinic, all white or in 50/50.....Look in the secton that has all the Betta type tanks and accessories.....

The front is not really curved as in "bow type tank".its the front corners are actually rounded and they refer to it as a bowed glass tank.....Kind of misleading but sort of glad it was not a mini bow.....I like the rounded corners, so at least two corners are going to be easier to clean than the other two will be.........Bowfronts are ok as it gives a bit more "beach" area etc, but its a pain in the neck making a hood for them

Originally posted by Lil_Ocean

thanks for posting this info! we went and picked up one today and already have the back painted black. check it out!

dsc01615.jpg

dsc01616.jpg

Cool, so whats the deal with the pink nail polish, are you going to paint on simulated coraline? ;)

I bought some reverse side adhesive coated vynil, that is used in those vynil graphics cutting machines and used to make names etc in store windows etc. They have two kinds, one with adhesive on the front and one with adhesive on the back. The adhesive on the front allows the graphic to be placed inside on a window, and have the color and words show outside and be out of the weather. It works great in covering the back of a tank. Very durable, and you use a little water under it while you squeege it on for a smooth and wrinkle/bubble free application. Very durable.....and it comes in all the colors of the rainbow.

I'm praying that none of the Petcos near me have them in stock cuz I too would probably walk out with 4 of them if they're selling for that cheap. I'm trying to consolidate down to a single tank.:D

ah great job lil_ocean! love that easy method to color your tank, beats painting it! how much did that cost you?

well here's a little more progress, i'm a complete newb so i want to se what you guys think...

i'm a poor college student so i'm buying the supplies in steps, and today i picked up a coralife 9 inch 18watt total compact unit.

i'm planning on running two of the mini filters that came with the tanks. does anybody see any problem in this?

i'm also open to ideas on how to make a decent looking canopy or something to hold the light fixture off of the tank.

thanks all!

PA030395.jpg

PA030397.jpg

also the actinic bulb is flashing a lot, does this mean the bulb is just about to die? hopefully i can take it back and fish ranh will replace it for free for me =/.

eh....i just went to the petco near my house today. They were selling that tank for 24.95 :angry:

When I went to Petco, it was the same thing, nothing to mark it as on sale or close out. But... at the register when they ring you up, it comes out as discounted and the price is $6.18.

This tank has nice dimensions 6"Dx7"Hx9"W and I'm planning to build a hood for it using 2 13w bulbs.

It would be a great tank to expriment with LED arrays too.

Archived