Coral Vue Hydros

Fungus

tdkarl

It's probably not a fungus. Fungal infections are secondary to bacterial infections. Unless the fish has been seriously neglacted, whihc doesn't sound like the case, it's a bacterial infection. You'll want to get a medicine that treats bacterial infections as coppersafe is mainly for parasites like Cryptocaryon and will not help the fish. It will more than likely stress the animal as copper is a very harsh medicine. I'm not sure why anyone would recommend coppersafe for a fungus anyways, it wouldn't help.

Also, make sure the fish is getting a varied diet to help boost it's immune system to fight the disease as well as maintaining good water quality.

You'll want to medicate with a antibiotic medication for 5 days, do a water change and repeat as nessecary.

Fungal infections are hairy, thread-like projections from a would that has gotten infected and stayed infected. Fungus are decomposers and will start attacking the fish if there is an open wound. Fungal infections are quite rare as there aren't many species of marine fungi.

Good Luck.

"You'll want to get a medicine that treats bacterial infections as coppersafe is mainly for parasites like Cryptocaryon and will not help the fish."

What kind of medication would you sugest?

Kanamycin Sulfate usually works well for most antibiotic applications in marine fish. You'll need to use it as a double dose, so I'd definitly QT the fish, or you'll be spending an arm and a leg. Neomycin Sulfate, Erythromycin Powder usually are good ones as well. Just make sure you choose one and treat for the duration it states. There a few different medicines becasue a strain of bacteria can become resiliant to one, whihc is bad. So do your best to make sure you treat the fish fully with one medicine before trying another.

Good Luck.

Found this on http://www.nationalfishpharm.com it is alot cheaper than the meds you mentioned, but may not work as well. Look at this and tell me what you think:

Q: My fish has white thread-like or cottony puffs on the skin.

A: This sounds like a Saprolegnia Fungus.

Treatment: Treat the fish with Forma-Green for 5-7 days.

Forma-Green

USE: External fungicide, external protozoacide and ectoparasites, mongenia, hirudinea and crustacea. Can be used as a dip or for longer baths according to parts per million.

DOSAGE: Use 2 drops per gallon in aquarium or pond water. Treat one time and leave in the water for 5-7 days.

1034 Forma Green 4 ounces $4.75

1050 Kanamycin Sulfate Powder 25 grams $32.15

1076 Neomycin Sulfate Powder 25 grams $18.10

This is a fungus- fungusinfestation.jpg

Does it look like that? With threads and hair from an existing infected wound?

Like I said, many people misdiagnose bacterial infections as fungal infections. I don;t know why, they don't look that similar to me, but like I said, there are VERY FEW marine fungi, I seriously doubt that is what the fish has unless it has been sevrely neglected. The med you are suggesting is a funagl remedy... yes it's cheap.

I do not believe you have a fungal infection but a bacterial infection which yes, means the antibiotics are much more expensive. You can get antibiotics in lesser quanities and use a QT tank, as per my suggestion earlier.

Fungus grows on bacterial infections. If you never noticed an infection at the same location before now, it's a bacterial infection. If you want to make sure, please post a picture or a sample picture.

I'm afraid if you purchase and use the antifungicide, it may not help you and be a waste of money and time.

I will try and post a pic later, he is a fast buger and it is hard to get a pic of that one spot. If it is a bacterial infection, if I put him back in the main tank could it spread to other fish?

Sorry for the delay in reply.

Infections are usually singular in victim. The fish probably was injured in some way and got an infection. same as if you're out at the beach and cut your foot, you'd get an infection but the people with you would not. and then you'd get the infection if your wound wasnt treated quickly. since fish cant tell us they substained an injury, we only see the after effects.

I've never seen fungai on a live marine fish before, and your pic certainly does look like a bacterial infection... is it red at all in the area? the fish is acting OK? looks like he is.

if the fish is getting better without treatment, you could just leave him in the tank and maintain good husbandry/feed various foods to boost the immune system. it will probably pull out fine that way. if he's deteriorating, i'd QT and dose with some antibiotics.

best of luck. thanks for the pics.

Archived