SaltCritters.com

10G Via Aqua lighting question

markjd

Seasons greetings all

I'm a newb at marine tanks and I've been looking at the awesome setup pics posted on this site with some jealousy :) I'm thinking about the round corner Via Aqua AR 380 10G as my first tank:

http://www.commodityaxis.com/index2.htm

My question is about the standard lighting on this unit. What can I put in my tank with the standard 13w fluorescent lamp?

Thanks

Mark

Mark:

I'm new to reefing myself but I think the lights they come with seem to be ok. My LFS has a 10 Gallon setup that caught my eye. So far I own an 18 & 10 gallon ViaAqua which I have just setup over the last two weeks. If I would change any think on my 18 it would be to change the white from 7500k to 10,000k. I used the undergravel filter on my 18 but went to sand for my 10.

Fahz

18 gallons glass ViaAqua 20”L x 13.5”W x 18.5”H

PL compact lighting 2x36 7100k white 12000k blue

LV 680 Powerhead

20lbs crushed coral gravel

20lbs Tonga LR

At 15" deep, you really can not keep much with a 13 watt light (unless the coral is a couple inches from the light). I guess some shrooms & zoo's may work.

As far as the LFS setup goes. You can fill a tank with Acropora and put an incadescent 10 watt bulb over it and it will appear to be doing OK for a good amount of time. Corals do not die instantly from poor light, it takes some time. I would check what they have in it and find out how long the corals have been in it. They are a LFS so they can swap the corals out every few weeks to keep it looking good.

Bottom line is if you want to keep a good healthy tank and be able to keep a variety of animals happy in it, get some good lights. Behind good water quality, is good lighting. Do yourself a favor and spend the money for the lights, it will be worth it in the long run.

I was reading another thread that said there is an 11 gallon with (2) 18 watt lights in it. 36 watts over the 11 gallon would be a pretty good starter nano reef and would allow for healthier coral with the 36 watt total light. I don't know the cost difference but I would spend the few extra bucks and go for that one if you must get a via aqua setup.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I've worked out that the little little provided from the 10G Via Aqua 13W fluoro aint going to cut it. If I have to replace the lighting completely, and maybe even the lid to accomodate new light fixture, I may as well not buy it!

Thanks

Mark

I had to look because I thought my lights were brighter. Surprise Surprise I have an 11 ViaAqua with two 18 watts da. Thats also what the LFS has on display.

Fahz

Archived