ReefCleaners.org

2.5 sps?

deacon hemp

Does anybody think that a 32 watt pc,and two 8 watt t-5's would be enough light to support easier sps like monti digi's,caps,ect over a 2.5 gallon?It looked super bright before my 32 ballast crapped out,but before i replace it,should i just fork out the skrill for a 70 MH?.Any input would be great because i have to get this ready for that contest! :)

Thanks pili,if i can find a 70MH somewhere where i dont have to order it,then i will go that route.But up in canada its usually slim pickins.I might have to rethink my contest entry.

I have SPS coral in my tank... yongei, valida, and fermosa... not sure where they stand in the spectrum of difficulty, however they usually aren't mentioned when a roster of easy SPS coral is listed. I have them under 2x18 50/50's augmented by 1 20W coralife 50/50 bulb. All three frags are growing, and healing well (from when they were fragged)... colors could be better, but you can't ask for more under PC's.

Cool man thats exactly what i wanted to hear!All three of your sps are more difficult than the ones i want to try,and our lighting will be close to the same.I think i might even try an easier acro to see if i can keep the color's up!if not i have a MH tank setup.

I know you didn't ask this question, but since the Pico contest is coming up soon... I'm sure it will come up sooner or later: For flow, I have an AC300 on the back with an AC150 propeller fitted.... in conjunction with a Hydor 400 II Pico powerhead running under the overflow of the AC300. The Hydor is pointed lengthwise toward the opposite side of the tank so the flow goes along the back-length, curves around the corners, shoots back along the front side... then finally collides with the AC300 flow in the front creating turbulance. Quite nice, and quite random... it also eliminates ALL dead space in the 2.5. Ah, and settings on the AC300 is the lowest possible, while the Hydor is up to half-way setting.

ninhsavestheday

get 70w with a 20k bulb. You'll get awesome color. this is from experience..i had a monti cap

under pc - brown green

under 175 10k - green

under 175 20k - green with blue polyps!

PS. will a AquaClear 150 propeller fit in a 500?

nope... 500 has its own specific propeller (ACmini-AC300 are interchangable)... however you can take the 500 propeller out and shave a little width off the propeller blades... or shave a couple of the blades off completely, and leave the rest of them untouched.

mines going to have a sump with a decent return pump so flow will be taken care of!I cant find any 70 watters where i live or any decent places that ship them in cananda so im going to just try a monti digi for a ceter peice and have other cool exotics as the main attraction! I got the sweetest anemone shrimp today,i may post a pic of it later.

you could do a 150w minipendent like this. J&L is in Canada. You might even let them know what yourlooking for and they might be able to get you a 70w MH.

Then again, ~$400 for a 150w MH with an IceCap electronic ballast and a 14K Giesman bulb is not too bad really... and imagine what you could do in that tank!?!?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Jared

Archived