Cultivated Reef

Guys Wot Is This?

Helishark

Hey yall can you identify this for me please, I have no idea wot it is but it seems to be doing really well, and came on an established piece of figi LR with a couple of tube worms. ???

Could be Aiptasia, most I ahve seen were brown, not white or clear. The one thing I would say is don't panic and forget Joes Juice. Too many people over react the minute they see a pest or a perceived pest. Wait it out...if you see another one or 2 pop up then go get a Peppermint Shrimp, far more effective than Joes Juice and a nice addition to a tank.

Wow thanks guys, my moms been saying "oh thats nice dear" ive been thinking it was something good :(. Well ive been told to wait untill the end of next week before i get a clean up crew so I guess I will get something to sort it out then.

I've got one in my overflow and it doesn't get any light at all and is pretty much clear. If it starts to brown up a bit, then I'd think it was aiptasia. Give it a little time. If you bother it, does it retract into the rock quickly?

nope it doesnt retract at all, a little bit of food or something was in the current yesterday and it went past this thing and as soon as it touched it, it pulled it towards the centre.

Looks like Aiptasia ( might be spelt incorrect??? ), What tank etc are you using? I am too in the UK and the choice of "nano reef" type equipment I am finding a bit limited.

It's an Aiptasia or similar pest anemone. Exact species doesn't matter--anemones are never (okay, rarely) good news in a reef tank. They have a habit of moving around, reproducing quickly, and then burning and stinging the living snot out of other corals. Not nice.

Inject it (in the mouth, with a syringe and needle; the latter is surgical stainless steel, non-corrosive) with hot Kalkwasser, which is a strong base and will burn it to death just like a strong acid. It'll melt immediately, and it's best to suck that out with a turkey baster or siphon.

Moronic. Aiptasia aren't just ugly; they kill other corals. I've seen it many-a-time, as have most other folks that have been in this for, oh, more than a week. :rolleyes:

I would also like to know what is moronic? Aiptasia are definately pests of the most dangerous variety. Frank83 I have had good success with insulin needles that can be purchased at any drug store. Just ask the pharmacist.

Frag's comment was moronic, if he was being sarcastic. (Apparently not? Ah well.) Aiptasia really do cause a lot of problems.

Caesar, no sweat man. I'll post pics as soon as i get a digital camera and you will see I am definately not a nooB. I was just trying to help, not be sarcastic. Though, I understand you trying to defend your forum against bad information.

Heheh... Sorry, man, just sounded like you were dogging on everyone for disliking Aiptasia. It really is a nuisance, or more than that...

It is by far been the most aggresive life form I have ever come across (as far as insane reproduction). I suppose predation is the only reason that it does not over run the reef.

Archived