ReefCleaners.org

How to Trap Critters?

Foogoo

I will be changing my crushed coral substrate to sand soon and I was wondering what is a good way to get all the critters in the switch so they don't get tossed.

Put the sand over the coral in small quantities, other than that you are going to loose alot of them I should think. If you are going to just toss the old stuff, maybe you could dig it out and keep it in some water, add the new sand and then stir up the old stuff and pour off the water into the tank. Do this a few times and you MAY get a reasonable amount of the critters out but not all.

Do this, don't take out the coral substrate right away, just pile it up in one area out of sight (behind the LR wall or in a corner. Put in the sand and level it out how you like it right up to the old CC. Just give it some time, this will alow some of the pods to take the plunge to the new stuff. After a few days to a week, slowly start to remove the crushed coral in layers, kind of shake it up as you are pulling it out (let the white cloud occur) not too much, just a little at a time until all the old is gone, then slide the sand over to where the CC was. This will get the majarity of the good stuff to make its way into the new substrate. The pods prefer the sand over the CC (easier to dig in and conceal themselves), so they will move to it before you know it.

be Verwayyyyyy Very quiet....

fill tank with new sand. Add cc in a mesh bag some where you can remove it easily. the mesh bag should have large net holes like a fish net, or wedding veil lace material. if some of the cc gets in the sad, it is ok, and will add to stability of sand as well as provide a more likely substrate of varying rubble size chunks fer the pods and worms to hide under. This will also give yer fish a normal habitat that they can turn rocks over in while looking fer food.

Archived