inTank Media Baskets

New to the board!

SmartaZaWhiP

Hello all, I have been reading from this board for about three weeks now from work. I think you all are a nice group of chaps/chaettes;)

I have a 20H with a 175W MH running at 10000k, and two PC's one at 32W(Home Depot) and one 28W as well as one 15W blue 03 actinic.

I have a tang, a flame hawk, blue damsel, and green chromis. Green striped mushrooms, red hairy mushrooms, yellow ball sponge, flame scallop, star p's, small leather, yellow cucumber, two feather dusters, Xeanias(wrong spelling) and an in tank refugium. The tank it about six months old and is doing Great!

The only thing is I have the hardest time getting my coraline to grow. I use kent calcium, bio calcium, Kalkwasser, strontium, iodine, and a little iron. I also use Miracle Mudd in the refugium.

Go Figure!

http://home.swbell.net/boydbizz/famfine.jpg

famliy3.jpg

http://home.swbell.net/boydbizz/tubes.jpg

tanks for viewing my tank and any feedback would be welcomed!

Thanks again for your time!

sorry, I guess I don't know how to post pics on this system yet

but I do have many nice pics to share. If some kind person could tell me how, I will post them. Thanks in advance!

I sincerely hope you don't have all that stuff in a 20H. The tang needs a bigger tank, even if it's small it will outgrow a 20H very quickly.

You can probably get away with having the rest of the stuff in there though. Keep an eye on the damsel and make sure it's not becoming a pest.

You can post pictures one of two ways:

1) if your pictures are posted somewhere on the web, click on the IMG button above the message box and type in the URL in the window that pops up. It will paste in the appropriate code.

2) if the image is just on your computer, click on the Browse button in "Attach File", select the file, and click OK. The picture must be less than 102k.

Click Submit.

SmartaZaWhiP, Can you post some pictures of your hood? I have a 20H and am trying to decide what to use for lighting, so I want to see how you have your MH setup.

SmartAsAWhip, I really don't think you should have posted that picture here. And no, it's not a good excuse for getting a bigger tank, it's a dumb move.

Also, he was just suggesting that you get the tang out, it was nothing to harsh.

However, your other stocking levels seem fair, nice corals and live rock structor.

Your lack of coraline may be from the lighting, not sure though.

Rock Anemone:)

rock anemone, notice daneils post has an edit in it, im sure what was in it it before was a lil more graphic. daniel dude, buddy, u need to calm down when people have tangs in nanos tell them in a lil more nicer way and tell them why. dont just go saying get it out now. people dont want that. oh well btw what kind of tang is it?

nishant

Well I think the picture is kinda funny... I said KINDA, could stand for a bit of editing in the script though..um, IMO

Before this gets all wacky.... and I ain't even gonna say anything about the tang, in Smart's defense, naw screw that.... this thread is getting way to many inappropriate responses IMO!

I will all point you kindly to Djm's post... do you see at the bottom it says Last edited: yada yada yada...?

There WAS some comments made that were entirely inappropriate, as well as a post deleted... that I think ANYONE would have taken offense to. Anger management? Sounds good to me....let's work on the maturity management as well, eh?

Some kinda thread huh.... yes Nishant, that IS pretty much what you said.... I was typing obviously while you were posting, I hit "submit" and saw that you had responded as well....

And since I forgot to say on my previous post....

WELCOME to the LOVE board, er I mean Nano Reef Smart....

Don't know about anyone else but I anyway would like to see some more pics of your tank..... next on my list is either a 20,25 or a 28 bowfront.... So I always like to look at the piccies, ;)

wow man u type slowwwwwww

nishant

p.s. WELCOME! we will treat u nicely dont worry there are a few sharks but they are gentle enough. just be sure to have a thick skin and dont take anyones offensive remarks too seriusly

man....everyone needs to calm down.....will you please post pics of your hood and lighting configuration? im planning on setting up the same thing. any info on that would be great such as canopy height etc. about the tang...thats a vlamingi right(spelling..no idea) they dont grow too fast but like the others said it will need to get out pretty soon....im not going to flame you cause i would put a tang in that size tank temporarily also...good luck on a larger system...anyhow get us some more pics.....specs on filtration and such...

OK, I know it's not pretty but here it is.

I use a ballast from a Home Depot Mercury Vapor outdoor lighting setup to power a MH bulb @175Watts. Although this is an older picture, I was a single guy that did not care about wires or tubes.

I modified the original hood with one 32w PC 50/50, one 28WPC @6500K, and one 15W 03Actinic bulb. I know it's a lot of light, but cosidering the depths of a 20H and the fact that I am never happy with the tank, I had to modify the lights on separate timers so that I have a dawn/dusk phase as well as a strong full spectrum daylight setting. The corals seem to respond very well to this setup. As far as my tang is concerned, I just love tangs. They are almost as high as the lookdown in terms of being my favorite fish. I know I will have to move him soon. He is a vlamingi right(spelling..no idea) tang. I hear they are hard to find. I saw him at a lfs and he was in bad shape. I HAD to take him home. I put some macro in the tank and he went wild like he had not eaten in weeks!

As far as Rock Anemone's comment on the coroline algae is concerned, I am not sure friend. You might be right becaue it seems as though when I had less lighting, there was more growth. Thanks again for all of your comments and suggestions. I am sorry if I have offended anyone with the pic. I just did not enjoy that lad's use of words.

I am going to make a hood for all of the lights and will post the pics after finishing the hood. Oh, I just lost my flame hawk moving the rocks around with a new look. Kinda angry about it, but life moves on!:) :) Thanks again for the feedback, and P.S. Glazer, your hood is Awesome!

You may have too much light for the coraline growth. It is wonderful for the coral but coraline likes LOW light to grow. My tanks with the most light have the least coraline growth.

Funny thing, I grabbed a piece of that dead white coral stuff from the LFS that was in one of my reefs for a short period, removed it and placed it into a 12 gallon eclipse fish only tank with a bunch of that dead bright white coral fossil stuff. In about 3 weeks the coraline has spread all over all of the rock, crushed gravel, and glass. The funny thing is, it has it's stock 13 watt 5000k bulb in it and nothing else, and man, I have never seen coraline take off that fast. Believe me when I say you may just have too much light. Oh yeah, I also do not add any Ca suppliments to the fish only, nor do as frequent water changes as the nano reefs either, I could only imagine how fast it would spread.

While on this subject, I have a funny story. One of my LFS has several display/coral sales tanks with ton's of coraline groth in them. The tanks also have huge MH lights above most, so I was curious as to how so much coraline was in these tanks. I asked one of the kids that worked there when was the last time they changed the bulbs over the tanks and after diliberating with another employee stated "uh...haven't changed 'em in the 3 years I've been here. They still look bright so why bother." This is the same employee that when I once was buying a piece of LR and mentioned I liked all the coraline on it, he asked me what lighting the tank I was putting it in had. I told him PC bla bla bla. He reponded with "oh, well then the coraline will not stay on the rock and will be dead and brown soon since you can't keep coraline under anything but MH". I give up.

I tell ya.. xmas time gets everyone's undies in a knot.. heh heh.. If having lights up before thanksgiving wasn't enough, my neighbors have to play xmas toons all night outside their apt.. it'd be enough to drive me to post a flame or two.. heh heh :)

Archived