Pod Your Reef

12DX light burned out in a little over one month

JazzcatCB

I bought my 12DX cube on 8/15/05. Yesterday, I discovered that one of the lights has nearly burned out. It is very dim and produces very little light. I sent an e-mail to JBJ Warranty requesting a replacement yesterday afternoon, but I have not heard from them.

I went ahead and ordered another light, because I don't really know if they will honor their warranty (from their lack of communication, I'm kind of doubting it)

In the meantime, I've noticed a copious quantity of hair algae growing on one rock, and the rocks beneath the faulty light are taking on a greenish cast. My nitrates are < 5 so I guess the light is at fault. Is this because the light spectrum has shifted? Should I just remove the light until I get the new one?

I'm also wondering if my replacement water could be at fault for the hair algae. I'm using my local store's brand of RO water. I think I'll switch to distilled water and see if the algae clears up.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you...I actually have a question! Where did you buy the new light, and how much did you pay for it? I'm going to buy an extra set in case one of mine fails, but not sure where to get 'em. Thanks!

I believe the ballast drives both lamps, so if you remove one lamp you might risk over driving the single lamp. I'd buy a lamp for now, get JBJ to replace the lamp and keep it as a spare. JBJ takes a couple of days to reply. Just be ready to fax them your receipt for the tank.

As to the hair algae, try distilled and also get a phosphate remover to help w/ that. Cut back on feeding too.

Originally posted by JazzcatCB

Doncb, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely get that phosphate remover. There's slime algae too, hopefully it will help with that.

Glad to help. Increased flow can help w/ the slime stuff too. Your tank is still "new" so the algae is a normal part of settling in.

Archived