ReefCleaners.org

metal halide question

gregmoeck

A question for you metal halide owners. I am considering upgrading my lighting on my 10 gallon. What is the deal with halide, are they hot as hell, dangerous and will they cause electrical problems such as blown fuses or hazards etc.

Let me know your thoughts and experience please.

If your really concerned about heat, go for an HQI DE model. DE lamps require a UV glass shield so therefore most of the heat will be transfered to the glass instead of directly to the water. With adequite air circulation, u can disapate most of the heat off the glass before it reaches the water. I doubt u can blow a fuse using MH's on a 10g, most outlets can handle ~10 amps. They are not dangerous, just be safe and use common sense.

Yes they run hot but not as hot as Halogen, most MH run around 1000 degrees. They are the second most efficient light available if I am not mistaken next to HPS but the HPS has the complete wrong colour spectrum for use in aquariums. Look at your electrical demand on the circuit you plan on running your lights off. If you are running a big hair dryer, a toaster and some other high demand electrical appliances you may blow a fuse. A 150 watt light will only draw about 1.25 amp, most home circuits are 15 amp max, some are less though... you should try not to exceed 80% of the maximum the circuit is rated for.

Archived