Cultivated Reef

how to trap an emerald crab?

chufa

What's worked for me is to have a seperate container of water. These crabs can hold on hard to rocks. I pull the rock out that he's on, and put that in another container until they come off.

Luring them with sargassum works for me too :)

I caught mine by placing some caulerpa towards the center of the tank. Then I had a long tube next to the tank. Once the lights were all closed I turned on a small very dim light, like a moon light. There I was able to see him crunching on the caulerpa, with the long tube I slowly opened the lid and held him down with the tube and I used my net to scoop him up.

That's one way to do it:)

I've never seen mine eat a coral but...

If you really want him out. wait till he gets on a rock. then poke his shell with something not hard enough to hurt him just so he grips the rock. He'll hold on like a vise. then pull that rock out and he's yours. Problem is he won't want to let go LOL

Just rubberband a piece of nori (or any dried algae) on a piece of rubble and drop it in the front middle of the tank. Emerald crabs won't run away from a meal you can calmly take off the tank lid/top/whatever siphon some water into a bag and grab him with your hand. It's not like it's going to run away.

Well, sjpresley, that is not going to work. Whenever he grabs food, he quickly takes it and hides under the rocks.

On a side note, strangely, now the crab has turned pink in color.

Archived