inTank Media Baskets

Protein skimmer on a timer???

JJshiv

My protein skimmer puts alot of bubbles in the tank (40 gal). I read somewhere that some people put their skimmers on a timer because of this. Has anyone else heard of this or done it? I want to try it with mine because I dont like the way the tank looks with so many bubbles. The skimmer is a HOB. I would set the timer so the skimmer was only on when the lights are off. What do you guys think?

Hmmmm, interesting approach.... put the bubbles in the tank when I can't see them.

Without getting to in-depth which would not be easy with the info you provided... gotta a be a better way, what kind of HOB skimmer is this and how long have you had it?

Hmmm, well I've never heard of a Lexan skimmer, heard of them being made out the stuff......

I looked at your picture and I'm not seeing a skimmer (nice rock by the way) so not sure what to tell you. If you bought it used and just set it up for a week now.... perhaps it was thoroughly cleaned? I know some skimmers are prone to put bubbles into the tank until they "junk" up a little. If there are any adjustments on it such as air intake and water level I can only suggest you fiddle with it.... sorry.

I see it I see it.... nananananaaaa na... it is a bak pak by CPR. Yep they put lots of little bubbles in the tank. You can get a bubble trap for it and put it in rather than having the blue plastic Bio bale crap. Lookem up on the internet you can find out lots. Nice looking tank by the way.

I ran a Bak Pak for a while - only had bubbles during the first couple of weeks due to surface tension. The bubbles will calm down, so I'd give it another week or so before you spend another $20 for the surface skimmer.

By the way, I think it sucks that CPR charges so much $$ for their skimmers - for a freakin' peice of molded acrylic, then they say..."Oh, you wanted to skim your tank WITHOUT exhaust bubbles? That'll be another $20".

Just a thought ...

I would find a way to stop the bubbles then put the skimmer on a timer anyway and turn it off at night because your non-photosynthetic corals eat at night.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've heard about the bubble traps but havent really seen them in action so I was kind of skeptical. Im going to let the skimmer run for a couple weeks to see if the build up will reduce the number of bubbles. If that doesnt work, I will check out the bubble traps and most likely get one if they really work.

As for the non-photosynthetic corals, I didnt even think about the skimmer messing up their feeding. What is an example of a non-photosynthetic coral? I dont think I even have one. Thanks again, you guys have been a big help.

I'm not sure if luv2jeep was referring to completely non-photosyntheic corals (I'm not sure if there are any) but there are many corals (research seems incomplete) that seem to utilize extra-photosynthetic feeding more than others. These corals seem to need extra-photosyntheic feeding to be able to use their photosynthetic zooxanthelle. Some people (myself included) feel that skimmers remove a significant amount of the food that corals and other inverts eat. That's why I turn off my skimmer whenever I dose DT's phytoplankton or pureed seafood mix.

ChvyNva916, I am new to saltwater aquariums and reefs, but I have done a good amount of research. I thought Luv2jeep was talking of some corals I had never heard of so I was confused. When I add any type of "food" for the system I do turn off the skimmer so that everything has a chance at it. Ive only done this once however. I use Marine Snow. Ive read that for nanos it is overkill to use a skimmer, but for my size tank dont you think that a skimmer would be required? Otherwise there would be a concentation of the "gunk" that the skimmer removes in the tank that would be too high and the result would be way too much undesireable algae. I could be wrong. The guy I got the tank from had it up and running for 3.5 years and this tank is in great condition. I have just been using his methods of filtration since it worked for him for so long. Im not afraid to make improvements though if some adjustment seems to be in order. Thanks for the heads up.

First, nothing is really ever "required". I'm sure somewhere there's someone with a beautiful 100g tank with no skimmer who doesn't do water changes.

I say keep the skimmer and get the bubble trap if you want it.

seahawkjohnny

I think ALL HOB skimmers release bubbles back into the tank, and those bubble traps help somewhat but there still are bubbles, I had a Remora w/ a maxijet 1200, and than went to a HOB overflow, and added a 10 gal rubbermaid tub as a sump, and got a Euroreef CS6-1 and the system looks great, and no more bubbles

:) :) :) :)

UhHHh...

most protein skimmers puts out bubble during the break in period..which is the first few weeks after setup...

putting it on timer that will make it to go on and off...will cause a never ending bubbles in the tank..

so i would think that its better to keep it running 24/7 or not have one at all ;)

and most skimmers that does these are ones under 300 bucks..

IMO

Archived