Top Shelf Aquatics

I gotta new tanK, I gotta new tank! msg

lizbeth

Well really it's a used tank, but it's new to me!

And I got a CPR skimmer and a 20 for the sump!

AND I'm going to need lots of help setting it up bacause I don't have any idea how the whole thing is supposed to work. It's a 40 diamond edge tank with a corner full height overflow.....there's a hole it the bottom of the tank w/ nothing in it. It has two holes in the back w/bulkheads with swivel heads in them, they look like jaccuzi outlets.

The stand and canopy are in good shape but they are white washed so I'm going to paint them.....probably black, I haven't decided yet.

I'll post pictures tomorrow!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Congratulations Lizbeth!

Um, what happened to the bulkhead fitting that was in the bottom? The dude keep it? Your two at the top sound like your return lines... no THEY ARE your return lines. Prolly has the LocLine stuff on it, the jacuzzi jets. So you need help then? Hmmmm, what time is dinner..... you can even just order pizza if ya want and we'll get that thing plumbed TOOT SWEET!

Make sure you check your overflow box before to make sure it has a good water-tight seal to the edges of the tank.... personally I would go with a standpipe in the overflow box cuz like a 20 gallon sump won't hold a 40 gallon tank if ya know what I mean.

The guy probably used the bottom bulkhead for something else. He's a doityourself reefer from way back.

So now I have to research standpipe designs. And the inlet fish jacuzzis are not at the top of the tank, he said that was so his rock work would hide the things. ACK, that means they will need check valves huh? *sigh*

I just told Mr.Fud (his board name) that I was going to be busy with my online guy/guys A LOT for a while. He said "whatever". He drove me 50 miles in the rain to pick up the tank, he's a swell guy.

Hi Lizbeth -

Congrats on the tank... A few things, you'll definitely need a bulkhead. As glazer mentioned, you'll also want some type of standpipe - you may want to check out Rich Durso's site - supposed to cut down on the toilet/niagra fall sound.

Sounds like you will also need a return pump - depending on how high the stand is, you may need a relatively "beefy" pump. Check out marine depot's site. I believe they have a run down on pumps with their return at various head.

BTW, 40 is probably pushing the limit of the BakPak. I've got my on a 29 with a Rio 800RVT. You may want to try the Maxijet 1200 instead (but you will need to get the rejuvi kit if you do so).

Keep us up to date...

-Ed

So now I have to research standpipe designs. And the inlet fish jacuzzis are not at the top of the tank, he said that was so his rock work would hide the things. ACK, that means they will need check valves huh? *sigh*

Hmmmm, well, hmmmmm..... my opinion here, I DO NOT trust check valves. They can fail and have been known to do so.... KNOWN BY ME! AAAAAAAACK, can you say "really really whizzed off downstairs neighbor?" oh yeah, plus they also are another restriction in the flow thus needing a larger pump to offset this.

I would really plumb those bulkheads with lines up to the surface/your water level... 40 is a nice size but not so large you gotta get all wacky with your current/water movement... if you want some more flow behind rock just tuck a couple of powerheads in there while your aquascaping. Just sayin' what I'd do... ;)

Archived