Pod Your Reef

Enough Cube Bashing

shao-lin nano

I've gone through my share of problems with the JBJ NanoCube as many of you guys and gals have too. There is so much talk about the limitations, cracks, horibble JBJ service...etc that we have not shared any new ideas of the possibilities of the NanoCube. I know there are problems with this tank but I still enjoy mine very much and I know that there are those of you out there that feel the same way. I remember about six months ago before all the cracks surfaced that new ideas would pop up every few days and that was when I got all of my inspiration for my cube. This has all pratically stopped, we're not sharing new ideas, new mods, new theories....just cube bashing.

There's all this talk about the Finnex M tank on thes board but what does that have to do with NanoCubes besides a possible replacement? I'm glad that the AquaPod is gaining momentum but there will still be us here using the NanoCube so lets start sharing ideas again!

Every couple of weeks I see a thread that asks "What pump should I upgrade to?" "How do I remove the hood?" "What should I do for filtration?" "How do I get extra flow?" "Is MH possible?"...I'm so sick of seeing these questions not because I hate newb questions but because these have all been addressed alredy but are being masked by cube bashing threads (some which I have participated in as well: ).

I'm all about tinkering and beefing up anything I can in my cube...isn't there more of us out there on this forum than just a handful of us? Let's start sharing ideas again people!

Hear! Hear!!

shao-lin nano

Back when the bashing was at its worst, I likened it to a shark feeding frenzy. I think there were even people that didn't own Cubes chiming in.

I have had my Cube since March 23rd and love it. Other than CCFL and LED mooonlights I haven't moded the hood until this weekend when I added a Nanocustoms ICA. Tank runs a nice 80 - 81 even with the stock hot pump, a Rio 50, an Azoo 1200 and a Hydor Pico for the ICA. I also got rid of the Cassette skimmer mod and put on an adjustable surface skimmer that looks like this:

SurfaceSkim02.jpg

SurfaceSkim01.jpg

And I painted the heatsink on my ICA to protect it from salt spray:

ICA_Mod.jpg

The NC isn't for everyone. Was never meant to be. So lets see some more inovation!! :)

Wow doncb, you're probably one of the few cube owner that I've come across that has more powerheads running than me. I've got a Mj1200 in the stock position to a hydor rotator, a minijet 606 for the extra circulation running to the front of my cube, another 606 for the titan chiller, and a Fluval 204 return spout. I need to consolidate a few of these pumps together and maybe reduce the amount of heat released in my tank.

Originally posted by Web Guy

I don't like your surface skimmer idea because you water level has to run so low which takes away from the volume of water in the tank.:)

Well, the level in the tank is at the bottom of the trim and the level in the back is at the top of the Bay 2 - 3 divider. Maybe 1/2 gallon difference at most than w/o the skimmer? Besides, I checked w/ the Clownfish and he said it was OK with him. :D

shao-lin,

You know what they say...The reefer w/ the most power-heads wins! ;)

I probably "should" just get a bigger PH too but then I just spent all that :bling: on an ICA. So I need something putting out some heat! :blush:

STOP DONT BASH A NANO CUBE

I love my cube. Never had any problems in over 6 months. Maybe there should be a new forum started or a dedicated sticky thread where the 3% of unhappy cube owners can go to express there frustration upon each other. Not that I am unsympathetic just a little tiered of hearing it in this forum. Shao is right this forum used to be an interesting place to visit, filled with insightful ideas and helpful information. It doesn't seem to be the same as it was.

doncb

Your skimmer is a lot like what I did. I was able to raise my water line behind the trim by using a dremel and cutting each of the slots 1/8" up and around the grate extension. I did this with the pumps running. The shavings went into the overflow and were caught by the sponge.

Stone.

Well my cube is only a month old and it's only a 6 gallon, but nonetheless I love it so far. To me it is a great way to introduce me to the Reef World. My first cube came with the glass looking like it had a small defect in the bent part, kinda like track marks from the machine that probably made the bend. I called JBJ, they sent me a new tank with not even asking for a reciept of purchase. I got it within 4 days. In my opinion that is good customer service.

I do have extreme sympathy for all who had their tanks crack ! I wouldhave been bashing myself if my carpet or wood floor got ruined from it.

I'm not too careful with my 24DX and no probs yet. Been running since April. Modded the hood with an additional 70W MH and two new 80MM fans, two extra moonlights, notched overflow, rear mounted 27W fuge light and 3-315 GPH powerheads in chamber #3 coming out of different outlets. The two lower outlets are on a Chavet timer so that they alternate. Plus some other minor mods...I'm a liking it! Only broke the feeder lid when I grabbed it as it was falling closed and I popped a piece of plastic off the hinge. Oh, yeah, its on one of those S-Stands too.

Well my cube is only a month old and it's only a 6 gallon, but nonetheless I love it so far. To me it is a great way to introduce me to the Reef World. My first cube came with the glass looking like it had a small defect in the bent part, kinda like track marks from the machine that probably made the bend. I called JBJ, they sent me a new tank with not even asking for a reciept of purchase. I got it within 4 days. In my opinion that is good customer service.

I do have extreme sympathy for all who had their tanks crack ! I wouldhave been bashing myself if my carpet or wood floor got ruined from it.

i have three cubes and love them. if it breaks, ill buy another one. for only 150 i think its a great little tank.

shao. has helped me alot with yoru threads.

i have a 70wt mh with 18 wt actnic and 24 actinic. 5 fans. and 2 606 pumps. one drilled thru back wall. and moon light. and jbj air driven ato system :) and 9wt fuge light. i love it.

What's with all the double, triple, quadrouple posts?!?

Mark, the rio 800 sucks ass. I had one and only ran it with freshwater for a day and hated it. If you still want it PM me and I can send it to you cheap. Just don't have the attachments to it for I used the flare nozzels for other things.

it's freaking loud!!! i'm not sure about heat but i'm sure there are other pumps that are more efficient. i've had other rios and had no problem with noise. maybe i had a defective one or all 800s are poorly made.

I love my Nano Cube 12G DX so far too! I only got it last week, and I've been about &$!@ing my pants reading all the bad posts about them, but I love how it looks and I love not having to know anything about plumbing to use it (with the built in sump stuff). My live rock arrives tomorrow, I'll toss that in and then maybe start a new tank thread of my own! Only things I've added are: replaced pump with a MJ606, added a Hydor Flo, bought a skimmer mod online, and added a Ebo 50w heater.

Go Nano Cubes!

i have a 12g Nano Cube running for a year. the first that i received

from drs foster/smith was cracked not a big deal, a new was sent the same day. The main point here is the 12g by JBL is not 12g. I first

ran the tank with water only to check for leaks and pump problems.

The fact with water only the tank is MAX 8 gallons, i did it twice

8 gallons. Check it out....i do like my 8g nano cube

JBL hang up the phone when i ask about the fasle info

shoa-lin

I think I understand what you are saying about M-tank-- Most of my post are under Members section. I have a M-Tank and need all the same ideas as the hazard cube (pun intended) hehehe. I think some ppl just go with the fact that this is "nano-reef.com"-- When I see a post I want to respond to -- I normally dont even notice what section its under -- I just post away. Im not meaning to flame hear-- just the M-tank does not have its own section :)

Izzue

Hey Izzue, post away. I love seening new tanks and ideas and if anyone finds it necessary to post it here that's fine.

I just want attention of the NanoCube to be back to NanoCubes and mods and success and new ideas and theories...I haven't seen anything innovative for the cubes in a while. Last thing that gained a little momentum was a protein skimmer and that idea died again. I know nanocustoms is always brewing new ideas but the rest of us should be sharing too.

"JBL hang up the phone when i ask about the fasle info"

HaHa...that sucks.

It's finally gotten quiet with the Nano Cube nonsense and now you want to stir it up again.

Oh lord...

I know you probabaly don't realize it, but the board went through the same thing with the Eclipse tanks. They're just, no offense, passing fads. People get amped up about them, then bored, and they move on. Same thing with acans and blastos lately.

i think overall the nano cube is great for novices to learn the reef system with everything in one, great filter,light and cooling.

again my POINT it is not 12g it is 8g..and that 1/3 less huge mislead!

Archived