Cultivated Reef

ok just a thought not actually going to do it but....

Nishant3789

can i collect a few odd things from the beach- NO CORAL just a few hermits im going down to the gulf of mexico this weekend for vacation and i plan on snorkeling, so any ideas? i mean im guessing most hermits are wild collected anyways and they arent really endangered. maybe a few snails while im at it, or a few small peices of rock rubble in the sand? none of it is endangoured so whats the harm? im just speculateing i may and probably wont do any of this stuff.

nishant

Check local regulations, it may be illegal, I wouldn't do it anyway, yes you can save a few $$ but some of those animals etc may have been exposed to pollutants and they may be still carrying them, not to mention toxins, even in small quantities once they hit your tank it could be a time bomb waiting to go off.

I think it'll be more trouble than it's worth. You could still get in trouble with customs (living creatures always require paperwork), the critters might not survive the trip, and unless you are really familiar with the species you'll be encountering (including mimics!) you might wind up with something really nasty rampaging through your tank.

I know it's tempting. I would be tempted too. But I think there are too many bad things that can happen, and at best you'll only save a little money. Too much risk, not enough potential benefit.

If you're paying so much for these critters that this is very tempting for you, maybe you should try another LFS or look into mail order. Some places really do overcharge.

well i would be driveing there, and driveing back. no paperwork then. yea, but blue leggs are pretty easy to identify, find me a mimick and ill be satisfied....

nishant

Archived