Coral Vue Hydros

Help with the basic modifications-setting up NC12-DX

fishtherapy

I removed the sponges and I'm gonna use filter floss. I threw out the bioballs and ceramic rings and am going to put LR rubble in chambers 2 and 3. Does everyone use carbon in their sytems or only during certain times? Where would you place the carbon bag? Also, what brand and size power head did you replace the stock one with? Would I be able to use the original PH as a second PH to increase flow? And finally, can someone explain to me how that cassette cover modification helps to surface skim? Can't see how this works! Thanks???

fishtherapy:

If you use carbon I would put it in the 1st chamber under the floss. A maxijet900 would be my choice for the pump upgrade. If you upgrade the PH you don't really need to use two, but you could if you so desire. As far as the surface skimmer goes, here is a how it works for my skimmer:

HOW THE MILLMOD SKIMMER WORKS:

In a nut shell it works by forcing water over and through the teeth and thereby creating a break in the surface tension. Simply put the skimmer over the intake grate, suction will hold it in place, attach the magnet bracket behind the intake and adjust it up or down depending on where you want to water. Notice what happens to the water in the rear chambers when you move the skimmer. Move the skimmer up and the rear compartment water goes down. Move the skimmer down and the rear goes up. Find a happy medium. To do this you may need to add some water to your cube.

By forcing the water in the display to go over the skimmer and not through the intake you decide where you want the top of the display water to be. This level will be maintained regardless of evaporation. Because all of the evaporation takes place in the rear chambers

Best of luck,

Bob

This is a very basic question...I don't usually push my thread, but, I have the whole setup discussed if you want to search out my 24G setup thread for NC's. SH

Archived