Innovative Marine Aquariums

Serpent star added today...

Chineseghoststory

Chineseghoststory

My 7 gallon bowfront AGA nano has been coming along well, cycling nicely, etc. Ammonia is not really coming down yet but holding steady at about .40ppm for the time being. So with a little algae growing on the glass and some detrius collecting on the LR qand bottom of the tank, I set sail to the LFS to see what members of the cleanup crew were in order or capable of being added now.

I walked out with my second small hermit and a coupel extra shells and a serpent starfish with arms speading out about 9 inches max across. Not the smallest star I have ever seen. Aside from these guys all I have in there is a damsel who is doing well. BUt I just wanted to check with the group to make sure the star will be okay in there, just to get a second opinion. These serprent stars are, BTW, not predatory towards fish or shrimp. In fact that star and my fish shared a hole in the rock for some time erlier today and didn't even notice each other.

Does anyone else have any of these in their tanks and how did they fare? Oh, and if I put a shrimp in with that damsel, is it true the damsel may snack on him? I don't know if that was just a load the LFS was telling me or not.

Thanks,

Jeff

IMHO that star is way to big for your tank.

Yes Damsels may snack on your shrimp. If your ammonia is holding steady you should do two things, take a sample of your water to the LFS and have your test kit verified, and secondly, don't add live stock until your nitrites have almost fallen off. The ammonia is probably still high because of die off on your LR, it may take a few weeks to finish dying off. While it is all dying off, I wouldn't have the lights on, low light helps coraline algae to get a good start before the green algaes cover everything. Nitrite spike comes after the ammonia spike and before the Nitrates start to build. Nitrites are more harmful to some species than ammonia.

Archived