inTank Media Baskets

Snail question

bmwracerchick

OK I dont have any pictures yet, it is late and I dont want to scare the fish by putting on the light just to take a picture, unfortunetly I have literally hundreds of little snails that come out only at night to feed on the algae growing. I love these little snails and I got them on a LR I got a while back. Then thing is while that rock is beautifully clean the other rocks are growing that brown algae that I need to control. They are a little smaller then pea size, mostly tan with darker stripes on the shells. I tried looking them up so I could perhaps purchase more to make home on the other rocks. Has anyone heard of these snails or can match by what I am describing them? Also, on this rock there has been a development of little white circles throughout the rock that look simular to little shells but they are flat. Could this be reproduction of these snails? I am unformiluar witht he way snails reproduce. I really appreciate the help guys. I hope to get pictures up of my tank soon.

Collonista[sp?] snails, and most people don't sell them--they just come on the live rock. I have hundreds of them--they just reproduce like mad.

The "white circles" could possibly be tiny calcarous feather dusters. Serpulid worms, a type of polychaete worm. See below.

Tiny_Serpulids_KBR.jpg

Archived