Cultivated Reef

1 Gallon MiniBow Project

Joseph14

its because the sand gets moved around by the ChocolateChip star

He roams across the sand an moves in around it gets into the undergravel filter and the sand shoots out the air stone tube

Originally posted by Joseph14

He roams across the sand an moves in around it gets into the undergravel filter and the sand shoots out the air stone tube

Can an undergravel filter even be used with sand? I thought you needed coarse gravel so the water could flow in between the rocks? Not much room in between sand grains. It would also tend to fall under the filter and clog it, I would think?

Anyway, interesting project. I assume you have researched the needs of chocolate chip starfish and know what to do to keep him alive (proper feeding, stable specific gravity, etc) and you are aware that they like to eat corals and snails.

yeah i did thewy eat meaty foods like clam .

I dont plan on putting any corals in this tank unles i can get a better light or get rid of the star.

ill Probably put him in the Classifieds if i can upgrade the light

well...for a better light a 10w coralife 50/50 PC screw in MAY (not saying it will) fit in it...then you could keep corals..and BTW...i was looking at the pic and that starfish really does looked cramped

Yeah ur Right Ill Probably Take Him back 4 Store Credit.

Um the tank is really like10 times his size

he just looks big because the Pic is Squezed together.

COuldnt Get it to Fit

As tylernt suggested, you can't (properly) use an undergravel filter with sand. You really should take it out and use some other means of filtration. The sand will fall down beneath the UGF and you'll be spitting sand out of your powerhead constantly. It isn't good for the tank, and will chew up your powerhead impeller VERY quickly. I hope that helps a little. Good luck.

Peanut1181

• 5 months later...
As tylernt suggested, you can't (properly) use an undergravel filter with sand. You really should take it out and use some other means of filtration. The sand will fall down beneath the UGF and you'll be spitting sand out of your powerhead constantly. It isn't good for the tank, and will chew up your powerhead impeller VERY quickly. I hope that helps a little. Good luck.

Peanut1181

an airstone driven ugf works fine with sand (see tinyreef's contest pico), especially with the cartridge in place.

oh, and why not try and retro the hood with a 13w pc? they have the $10 pc work lamps at walmart, so you could strip the stock hood, put the ballast from the utility light in, and replace the buld with a 50/50. we have the mb1's at the lfs i work at, and we just set one up to house dwarf seahorses.

Archived