ReefCleaners.org

still havent i.d. these worms.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

sorry its not a better pic. its right at the back of my tank.

the worm looks like a feather duster with 2 crowns/rings of feathers. if you look real close you will see 2 ring shaped markings in the very center. each has its own crown with a row of feathers seperating the 2.

sometimes the crown is flush with the rock. other times theres up to 2" of visable worm. they never move and are always in the same holes in the l.r. they retract like a peanut worm and only come out at night. its been months since i noticed all of them, and there still in the same holes.(so i dont think there peanut worms. any ideas? thanks

Feather duster. :P

Actually, could it be some kind of filter-feeding sea cucumber? For my bat eyeballs, the pic is hard to see.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

coco worms and featherduster i've seen/researched dont act like this little guy. most keep thier bodies hidden. these guys more often than not have up to 2" of thier soft fleshy worm looking body flopping in the current.

also the crown on a feather duster is usually on the end of the worm, and retracts with the worm into the tube. these worms dont do that. they role the feathers into the center to retract (the way a peanut worm retracts.) sometimes theres 2" of worm sticking out of the rock with no crown (looks like a sock, with the top roled into itself) then boom! out pop the feathers.other times this same worm has the crown flush to the lr.

if i had to pick, id say it behaved more like a peanut worm and less like a feather duster, only thier always in the same local.

are there feather dusters that have the ability to hide there feathers inside there body and not just the tube like most?

heres the worm with the crown retracted, and on his way back into the l.r.( they dont like the camera flash)thats the worm not the tube its in. most of the time its 2" long bends up to the top of the tank.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

actually it behaves more like aptasia. lol but i dont think it is. the worm is dark brown with white dots(looks like a dying brown zoo) the feather are white with what appear to be green circle markings in the center(2 side by side) the markings glow in antic lighting.

Archived