Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

2.5 Gallon Project (Comments Needed)

CGNano

Hi! My name is Chris, and this is my outline for a 2.5 gallon Pico reef. I want to really just focus on Soft Corals, and am hoping to possibly include in a Derasa or Squamosa clam of the Tridacnid genus. I also hope to add 2 Pom-Pom Crabs, but I’ll go over that later.

For Water Movement I plan on adding a Tunze Universal pump mini. This should provide enough flow for the soft corals I hope to include, and the small clam I wish to get. For filtration, I will add two-three pounds of Live Rock from my 10 Gallon Nano, and enough sand to get an 1” deep sand bed from the tank as well. For heating, I will use a 50 watt heater, putting it behind the live rock I will be adding.

For lighting, I will incorporate a 9” 2x9 watt Coralife PC fixture, One 10,000k and One Actinic 03. This should provide about 7 watts per gallon of PC. This should be enough for most, if not all soft corals, and a “low light” clam. I think that I will upgrade to the 12” 2x18 watt fixture a few months after getting the tank setup.

Livestock will include two Pom-Pom Crabs, a Derasa or Squamosa Clam, several Soft Coral species, and some other species of invertebrate…. Suggestions anyone? I will be placing the Clam at the highest possible place I can place it so that it can absorb as much light as possible. I plan on bowl feeding until my parameters become stable enough that spot feeding will not harm the tanks parameters. I plan to allow my Pom-Poms to find food themselves, and I will spot feed my corals about once a week, and the Clam once every two days. Does this seem acceptable?

For keeping water quality correct, I will use RO/DI water for each water change, and Oceanic Brand Sea Salt. I plan on supplementing the water with Calcium, Iodine, and Strontium. I also plan on doing two water changes per week at a volume, of 20%, unless it is an emergency, in which I will perform an 80% water change.

Comments would be appreciated

Thanks a lot,

Chris

Just to let everyone know...Chris knowes that the clams will outgrown his tank..we have talked before and he has Tirdacna Clams before...i wouldnt dose Iodine because it is in your salt mix and if you do 10% a week water change than you shouldnt have to dose it...if you OD than you can kill some/all of your inhabitants

Josh

Originally posted by CGNano

For lighting, I will incorporate a 9” 2x9 watt Coralife PC fixture, One 10,000k and One Actinic 03.  This should provide about 7 watts per gallon of PC.

Watts per gallon is meaningless in small tanks. I think you'll be happier with the 2x18w, in any event. :)

go with 2x18 that clam will be happier, The fact that it will out grow the tank is irrelevant. He has already stated he has a 10 gallon nano. And if he is like most of us he probably has an even larger tank around there somewhere. JUST IN CASE SOMEONE COMES ALONG BASHING

Hey CGNano,

Sounds good. Dont have much knowledge about clams in nano/pico tanks but wanted to comment on the calcium. The oceanic brand salt you suggested is a decent salt that tends to have pretty good pH & high calcium, but the alkalinity tends to be a bit low. Make sure you buffer with a alk booster. Not sure if you plan on doing a calc drip, but I recommend the B-ionic (2 part) calcium/alk supplement. Especially with such a small volume, changes in pH from calc drips may be more detrimental then good. I only use the b-ionic and it keeps my levels where they need to be. Good luck!

Archived