inTank Media Baskets

Spaghetti Worm and ?

trumph

Pic of a Spaghetti Worm I found the other day. Note the pile of gravel below the rock. Seems that the tentacles, which look like threads from a spider's web, grab the gravel and pull it into the hole. The main body of the worm must eat what it wants and then spits the gravel back out. At least that's what it looks like.

IMG_1186-75.jpg

These guys I'm not sure of. They kinda look like the Scypha Sponges shown on MelevsReef indentification board. I've got hundreds of them on the back wall of my cube.

IMG_1166.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i have lots of the same things in my tank.

the worms in the first shot- the tenticals are shape like a u. they run rotten/dead food down each groove to the mouth. they do like to cover themselves though, check this out. these are the things in the tank that have been collect by one of my Terebellid worms that lives beneath the sand. one of those shells did have a hermitt in it, untill the worm pulled it out (this is certainly not the norm)

the name of the little sponges has slipped my mind, but you'll find them on most dark surfaces in your tank. my sump baffles are covered in them.

Nice link, Angel. Spent alot of time there. Now just waiting to get a pic of another worm I have. Its white and about an inch or so long. Looked like a miniature string of pearls. Crawled out of tube in a rock and by the time I realized it and grabbed my camera, it ran back into the rock. Haven't been able to ID that one yet either.

Formerly...that's quite a collection. Must be a fairly large worm. Maybe you should give it a little shopping cart to keep its collection in.

Okay, you got me on the string of pearls worm. I will look around and see what I can find. My first thought was a type of hydroid but I have never seen them crawl like a worm, they usually flow.

Formerly...that is one bad Bee-atch of a worm!!

Angel, hopefully I can get a pic of that critter to confirm that I wasn't too cocktailed and just imagined it! Could have sworn that it came out of this tube...

IMG_1203.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

looks like a Vermetid gastropod tube. page three of the link angel provided. they build there tubes very quickly. mine have started to build them up off the lr. (some of them 1") they have a trap door, and release long strands of sticky mucas to catch food. once in a blue moon the worms make themselves visable. or it could just be a feather duster.

Saw the other worm today. Got a pic but didn't have time to adjust the camera so its not that great. Can't get it to pose and it retracts into the hole too fast.

IMG_1239.jpg

Caesar, I've got to get another pic of it. The real blurry part of the pic is its head from what I can tell. Saw it again today but missed it. When it sees my movement it shoots back into the tube. Looked like it was completely out of the hole and just a touch over an inch long. The boby tapers to a point like a snake. I'll get it...I'm between engagements (unemployed) right now and I'm spending way too much time on this board and staring at my tanks.

hey guys,

not to toally ninja the forum, but i had a question about a worm like critter. i saw him this morning coming out of a piece of rock. his body was grey and appeared to be somewhat "slimy" looked vaguely like an octopus tentacle at 1st glance. it was extending towards the sand bed. what was particularly odd was the way it extended it's body. it would open it's mouth and kind of regurgitate, a bunch of small off white "feelers" would come out for a split second then retract back inside itself...then it's body would extend...the head disapeared into the sand bed for a few minutes then popped up against the glass. this thing must be about 4-5 inches long but very slim. unfortunately i have no picture to take of it (not technilogically advanced) but i was hoping someone might explain what this could possibly be

fantastic. it looks just like that. kinda creeped me out. i was lookin at the pics of peanut worms in the other link above but mine was not as fat as that. so.....should i keep him?

Maybe we should just make this a worm ID thread...here's more:

The Bristle..having trouble getting a good pic of him:

IMG_1052-50.jpg

More that I found while siphoning..Eunicid and unknown...both got tossed..

IMG_1198.jpg

Upclose and personal...

IMG_1200.jpg

The top one was a normal bristleworm, bottom not sure. Ribbon worm, maybe? Sent the photos to Calfo, as maybe he'd know.

Those are the only two pics of that worm I didn't delete. The large one one in the dish is the same worm. I thought it was a Eunicid so I just trashed it. The smaller worm joined it in the trash. My rock is from the Pacific, its the Lalo rock from LiveAquaria which doesn't seem to be available anymore. Maybe that will narrow the search. Didn't think I had such strange critters!

Archived