Coral Vue Hydros

another crab ID

sir winston mulligan

Well see thart SHARP black tipped pincher?

That is a sur esign it will kill things in your reef. so no matter what it is dont put is back in. Just my opinion.

as duane said...do not put it back into your tank! i had one of those hitch in on some lr once and the little bastard ate one of my fish and later(i thought i had killed him...i thought i stabbed it with a knife when it scurried into a hole...i swear i saw a poof of crab blood!) after it was resurrected it ate a seahorse. needless to say, i took apart the tank to get him after his last supper.

crap, I've been reading about the crabs and thier claw shapes.

I've got a little pale green one that has sharp pointed claws.

he's yet to bother anything.. and I actually had him out of the tank when I was moving it.. but I restored him to the tank.

my error.

It won't be as cute when it's the size of your palm and ripping your corals apart. I'm exaggerating, but the point is that it WILL mess with your corals, coralline, macro, etc., and it'll grow very fast. Soon won't be very cute at all. There's still a nickel-sized crab somewhere in my tank...Yuck. Grr.

its a shame face crab. you should offer to give it to someoone instead of killing it.

i had one and it never bothered my zoos. etc. but its a risk. personaly if it did eat some zoos i would not mind, its a great little creature. it has a great pattern. and yes yes i have blue zoos..

so its not like have all cheap corals.

speaking of corals embryo- that same crab that ate two fish also demolished part of my raspberry limeade colony. i saw him in the midst of it just grabbing random polyps and ripping them apart.

sir winston mulligan

dont worry guys and gals, this crab never reentered my tank and is now deceased...i was checkin out a new zoo rock that i got and i saw this lil' guy pop out and grab some mysis when fed..i was pretty sure that it was one of those evil crabs ive read about, i just wanted to verify with the experts here on NR.com;)..thanks everyone for the info!

I am certainly no expert LOL! Most all my info is from experience.

See what a little research before hand can do for you?

That is one of my BIG pet peves. When people buy somthing they havent research at all and guess what they think it needs instead of looking up 1st.

I am happy to help and even more happy to learn youve read enough to recongize a possible hazard before hand!

Good luck to you!

Duane

sir winston mulligan

hey duane! from the reading that i did, i was 90% sure that the crab was evil, but theres that 10% that got to me lol. i havent seen a good picture of it here on NR.com so i just wanted to verify and post a pic so if someone comes across one in there tank in the future they would have no problem iding it..research and learning is half the fun of keeping a reef tank..has anyone came across the actually name for this crab? thanks

cat

Archived