SaltCritters.com

pico out of a 2gal top fin hex?

BigB

hey i have a 2gal top fin hex tank. that i got for a betta a long time ago. Right now its just holding snails for my dwarf puffer. I want to turn it into a pico reef. how would i get some flow in the tank. Its kind of confined area. So a powerhead unless really small liek 2x2inchs will not work.

any ideas will be helpful. I will be using hte light it came with which will be a 10watt 50/50 screw in. is that enough for something to grow ehhee.

thanks

A simple HOB filter will work... however if you want to use a power head... you can get one smaller than the dimensions you offered. Doctors Foster and Smith have some in that size category.

That should be ok, lighting wise... but if you can, I'd upgrade to the 20 watt 50/50 from coralife.

I have a 1.5 gal hex (see my avatar pic)and use a Red Sea HOB nano filter. It works great. I use the valve in the pickup to keep the water flow from being to intense. I did however have to apply some heat to a plastic spoon to make a diffuser of sorts for the return "waterfall". Without it stuff was blowing everywhere. "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Just be careful: when I clean out the filter sponges I always have small pods living in there I have to save with an eyedropper. They get sucked up in there by mistake...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a top-fin 2G hex that's doing fine, using a zoo-med turtle canister filter, and with 13w 17,000k lighting granted it only has two hermits, five cerith snails, and coralline so far, once I find a place in modesto with reef stuff I'll add more.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2 G hex...ATM, it's got about 1/2 lb LR (going to add about 2 lbs more when I get to Premium Aquatics on Wed.) and a couple hermies. Since it's got a full size screw in , I figured this tank will be the best way to go. I'm going to use a HOB eventually, but AT, I'm using a Via Aqua 180 power head/pump that I will be using in my NanoCube when I get it. Don't worry, I"m doubling up the pumps. The idea in the NC is to save some money, so I'm using 2 pumps that I have to work out to about 180 total GPH.

I have a 2 gal top fin hex that i am currently thinking of setting up..... but i figure i might just wait for the pico contest to start and enter it into the open catagory. Would most likely not win cause I dont have the funds or experiance to compete with some of those guys, but it would still be fun to participate. anyone else have a 2 gal hex that they have set up and want to share some tips??? im thinking of just going powerhead and 2 lbs of live rock, and not to sure about lighting. I want to get something witha little more "juice" but due to money i might ahve to stick with teh screw in 50/50 10 or 20 W.

Archived