Innovative Marine Aquariums

Millmods v1.2 pre-production

NanoBob

EclipseAgent
Originally posted by raggedfinfirefish

any pics of one in use on a 12 gal?  I'm sure your happy customers will pipe up... I plan to order one from nanocustoms@

I am a very very very very happy customer of the NanoBob Surface Skimmer.

I like that it isn't made from Acrylic (cheap looking IMO).

It is true you can't look through it, but why would you want to stare at a cassette skimmer?

Here is a pic of the 1.1 installed on mine. I will be sending mine in for the 1.2 upgrade, and am very excited to see the new design handle even more :)

tankshot1.jpg

Yup, it looks like it came with the tank doesn't it

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shao-lin nano

I too just reecently installed the 1.2 for my 24g and even with the upgraded flow in my tank it's working well.

It is also the nicest looking and most amazingly constructed surface skimmer mod out here.

Puttz:

There is a model for the NC6. It is smaller than the 12 gallon model pictured above. I do not have a picture of one installed in a 6 unfortunately. It looks the same as the 12, maybe a touch bigger, but it blends in and doesn't look out of place.

Bob

Hey NanoBob,

Any updates on sending the upgrade to me? Thanks.

Looking forward to it.

I will be in contact with you via e-mail today, Monday.

Thanks,

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Bob,

Great Skimmer. The new design works perfect! great flow. Plus it makes me top my water off like I should lol. I also love the quality and the color match is right on. Again well worth the money.I herd about your skimmer mod through the great vine and I plan on passing this skimmer mod on to other Nano reefers

Thanks Bob, Great Skimmer :D

Bob -

I haven't been on n-r.com in a while. The v1.2 looks nice. What's it take to get the "upgrade" for my V1.1. PM me when you've got time.

Cheers -

sNEIRBO

Hey Bob -

Nevermind! I took my roto-tool to the skimmer - removed every other tooth from the skimmer and fixed the problem. I'll snap photos when I'm not busy (aka - never :mellow:) and post when I've got some free time (aka - never again :huh:).

Cheers -

sNEIRBO

Bob -

I haven't been on n-r.com in a while. The v1.2 looks nice. What's it take to get the "upgrade" for my V1.1. PM me when you've got time.

Cheers -

sNEIRBO

Scott,

I need your skimmer and $10.00. I should be able to turn it around in a few days.

Bob

• 1 month later...
Crazy people that like awesome quality products that ARE NOT MADE FROM ACRYLIC would buy this product. People that want a surface skimmer that just blends in with the tank, buy this product (it is not a "Square" design, it tapers and really blends into the rank IMO.

How does this compare with the $9 offering from JBJ? no offense Bob, I'd rather buy from you if your price was the same but I can't afford yours. :(

How does this compare with the $9 offering from JBJ? no offense Bob, I'd rather buy from you if your price was the same but I can't afford yours. :(

No offense taken. JBJ mass produces their skimmers using a plastic injection mold (at least I think that's how they do it) and can make 100s of skimmer per day. My skimmers are made one at a time using a CNC machine to cut them, which takes about an hour and a half. I can't compete pricewise with them. I have a mold designed, but the $6000.00 in material and labor makes it cost prohibitive for me to do that. I understand people have a hard time spending more for my skimmers that basically do the same thing as JBJ's, but I do believe that mine is worth every penny.

Thanks,

Bob

I do believe that mine is worth every penny.

Why Bob? Just because it takes more time and is made with a more expensive method doesn't mean it does the job any better.

Why Bob? Just because it takes more time and is made with a more expensive method doesn't mean it does the job any better.

You are correct, I can't say it does the job better than other skimmers on the market. And a Honda does just as good a job of getting you to the market as a Ferrari.

Bob

You are correct, I can't say it does the job better than other skimmers on the market. And a Honda does just as good a job of getting you to the market as a Ferrari.

So while we all give kudos to you for coming up with this first why would you suggest that someone buy yours now if it doesn't work any better, look any better, or cost any less? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything (entirely possible).

So while we all give kudos to you for coming up with this first why would you suggest that someone buy yours now if it doesn't work any better, look any better, or cost any less? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything (entirely possible).

I am not suggesting that anybody do anything. I am simply putting a product out there, if people want to pay the extra for mine so be it. If not, I understand.

As I have said many times I did not make my skimmer to sell them. I made the first one for myself and posted pics to show what I created. At the time there was nothing else out there and people were interested so I decided to make them for people. Since then others have come up with their own, most notably nanoskimguy and now JBJ. I believe their motives were to make a product and sell it in mass. If you put those three skimmers against each other they would all probably work the same, or close to it. In my opinion, mine just looks better. Or I should say, doesn't, because you can barely see it in the tank, which was my objective from the beginning.

I do not want to start a "which skimmer is better debate" I am just stating my opinion. I think Nanoskimguy's skimmer is a fine product and wish him all the success.

Bob

I do not want to start a "which skimmer is better debate" I am just stating my opinion.

I think discussing what products offer the best solution or "the most bang for the buck" is what these forums are all about. :)

raggedfinfirefish

If you look at all the different options side by side (what I did) nanoskim guy's and JBJ's you see that they...

-Give an overall squarer look

-offer squared notches as opposed to the circular

-are clearer

all of which lend them to be more noticible, this blends much better... did I start it?

I think discussing what products offer the best solution or "the most bang for the buck" is what these forums are all about. :)

I understand. All I was saying is that I will stay out of the debate since I am bias.

Bob

IMO.. if people have the money to spend, and want to buy the nanobob skimmer, then that's up to them. Are you gonna give all companies who sell high end products a hard time just because other companies produce similar goods that do the same job? If you personally don't want spend the cash on his skimmer, then dont - but at the same time, dont crap all over his thread

might i add that the holding mechanism of nano bob's is more expensive also, held in place by magnets, this skimmer will stay on when the pumps go off, and unlike the nanoskim skimmer, which uses the plastic clip, it prevents you from adjusting the skimmer up and down. which nanobob's design allows, help when you add additional pumps, and upgrading your stock pump.

Archived