Top Shelf Aquatics

What to do?

SoS

I was sick of staring at my first ever attempt at a nano my 10 gallon. It was ok looking and healthy but I've learned quite a bit since then. So I emptied the whole tank into my 29 gallon. Except for a xenia which my flame angel would tear apart plus a few snails and crabs. So I have a fully functional reef tank with no reef. Any ideas?

39 watts PC

I want to do something unusual with it. Not necessarily a pure reef. I've got enough reef in the 29.

10gal002.jpg

It may seem a little "amateur", but I'm thinking about a tank that is dedicated to one type of coral. I think a tank full of flowing GSP or several colors of zoos would look cool. Sort of an "overgrown" look.

hmmm, a clean slate :)

Have you thought about a pistol shrimp/goby pair?

A shrimp only tank?

A mated shrimp pair to try your hand at raising them?

An oddities tank of weird hermits, maybe a dwarf lobster?

Just thinking outloud (yeah I like shrimp :) )

Good luck with it though.

Peace, Bryan

ben- that just crossed my mind! a full zoo tank :) mmmmmm good!

That Idea crossed my mind too. I was also thinking of a single species tank. Something unusual like a mated pair of harlequin shrimp. I'd like an octopus but this tank is a bit small. The small lobsters are cool too. Dwarf seahorses is another option.

I like the shrimp/goby pair....I plan on having them in my nano, once I get it started.

or

How about a deep water or cold water tank? Ive been toying with this idea myself. There are more than a few interesting animals that would do well.

What you have to do is take up the hobby of minature ship building. Build a mini Titanic, then sink it in your tank. Great conversasion piece:D

I personally would go one of 2 ways (considering I am going to do one of these 2 on christmas day, tank 8 on its way). I, as most on this board, was doing freshwater tanks for years before nano reef'n and still enjoy it. I still have a 55 FW and love it (no work whatsoever, just throw in food) but it has ton's of fake plastic plants in it as you can see here 55gtank.jpg Anyway, considering in the reef'n hobby I don't put that fake painted live rock or fack plastic coral in the tank, it has to be all natural, so I am thinking of making my freshwater tank naturally planted (the rocks and 2 of 3 driftwoods are allready natural). Also, I recently was looking at the winners of the AGA 2002 planted tank contest http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/?&op...y=0&vol=1&id=68 I was also thinking of doing a mini natural freshwater planted nano tank (2.5 gallon) to place next to my 2.5 g reef (you can see next to the 55) on the other side of my desk (which is sort of what I am trying to get at for your tank). You have the lighting already for the plant growth.

Also, you could do it similar, but you could keep it saltwater and use marine plants (now that would be cool). You can get some marine plants, kelp and algea and do a marine planted tank. The only problem is it is so hard to find a variety of marine seaweeds in this hobby, just hasn't caught on yet I guess, except for caulerpa. You can get some cool plants at www.liveaquaria.com and click on plants then marine or try this link http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg....d=26&pCatId=490. Its not much but it is a start.

Marine planted tanks have not taken off yet in the hobby and you could make the first marine nano-planted tank.

I have a 55 Gallon Fresh which had live plants till i added a school of 5 silver dollars. Needless to say I have no plants. But I enjoy my freshwater fish as much as I enjoy my saltwater reef tanks.

If by Pony you mean seahorses. I've been doing research on seahorses and there harsh nutrition needs. Some people have been having success feeding frozen mysis shrimp once you ween them onto them. They have alot of nutrients. Nodoby should undertake seahorses lightly.

The octopus would be a good alternative and I have space I could dump the 10 gallon into a 15H in that space which would have room for a small octopus.

Shrimp/Goby would be neat too. I would need to leave alot of sand area open to watch them in action.

SEA HORSES!!!! they are so cool how could you resist? except for the fact that they don't like a whole lot of current, or alot of light, or other fish, and they need live foods, and they are very delicate, and pretty expensive, and............oh screw it:

Archived