Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Distilled Water From A DeHumidifier?

Samc

At our home, we run a Dehumidifier in the basement (for my moms artwork). We are now using the Dehumidifier water on our fowlr 75 gallon tank, and it seems to be working OK. Any comments ?(I haven't run a water test on this water, yet). WHEN I set up a Nano, this will probably be my source of water!

Sam

Just make sure you test it for everything you can think of before using it. You're the only one that can tell for sure if it's okay.

Be sure and let us know the test results, I'm curious.

Salim

I've heard of people doing this before.... but I got to thinking, would I drink it... NO, ewwwwwwww, sounds icky.

I was wondering what the condensor coils were made out of, I was thinking copper or aluminum, so I looked around and found

this....

i agree with glazer because...i've done it. X) it was ok for a while but my gsp's started to close and i noticed lower health signs (less microfauna). i switched back to bottled distilled and within a month the main tank recovered.

it may have been the dirt issue or some kind of contaminant tho. i had used the dehumidifier the previous summer and everything was fine. i started it up again in the late spring last year (2001) and stopped around july (winter months couldn't generate the humidity required). maybe sitting over the winter or something, i dunno. ???

i'm sure it could work if everything was kept clean i guess. like glazer says check the condenser coils. even if they're not copper i would also get the water tested (for aluminum at least : ).

gotta love the star trib! minneapolis represent! anyways, in addition to copper condenser coil concerns (say that five times fast!), i've heard that dehumidifiers frequently foster some nasty bacteria (maybe fungi too!). convince mom and dad its time for an RO/DI unit-merry xmas reef!

TG

Archived