SaltCritters.com

Wiring Workhorse 5 ballast to 2x55 PC ?

AZDesertRat

I got a new ballast today to replace 2 old ones, one of which was burned out. The old ballasts were open type and had two black and two white wires which each connected to a pin on the bulb. Each ballast powered only one bulb. The new workhorse 5 has 4 red wires and a yellow wire. Before you yell at me, I have their instructions and I have visited their web site but the #11 directions are not clear to a non electrician. I understand I tie two red wires together for each bulb but do I jumper from one pin on each half to the other. Essentially that would be red outside-yellow inside tied to yellow inside-red jumpered from the other outside red. Does that make sense? My corals are wilting without light while I ponder this. Thanks for your help.

Maybe you can look at www.fulham.com and look at wiring diagram 11 for me. Under compact it looks like 2 bulbs but it only looks like each has 2 pins not four unless the black that extends out is two pins tied together. That does not make sense to me because you would not complete the circuit.

fliberdygibits

Their instructions are not real clear.... basically.... the yellow wire ties to both contacts on one end of the bulb (or bulbs) and the reds should be connected one red per contact on the other end of the bulb (or bulbs)if you only use one bulb, there will be two unused reds you can simply tape and tie up out of the way.

fliberdygibits

Their instructions are not real clear.... basically.... the yellow wire ties to both contacts on one end of the bulb (or bulbs) and the reds should be connected one red per contact on the other end of the bulb (or bulbs)if you only use one bulb, there will be two unused reds you can simply tape and tie up out of the way.

filbert-he's talking compact not linear-look at the other diagram

AZ-i emailed fuham's engineering department with my questions and got these reponses:

i have the straight 4 pin arrangement but for the square pin arrangement you'll just have to figure out which two pin sockets to wire together. for the straight pin arrangement you wire the two left pin "sockets" together and the right two together. so from each bulb "socket" you have 2 wires. now you have two connnections to make (for each bulb)- one side to the yellow (which you'll have to split so you have one for each bulb) and the other side to two red wires that are joined. its just like they describe but confusing as hell. imagine that in the diagram the black pins represent the two left and two right pairs tied together. if you think about it the circuit is complete because the u in the bulb connects the red and yellow leads. HTH! sorry for i couldn't explain it any better. here's an email address for one of fulham's engineering gurus Feng Hu if you need more help later,

TG

Hello:

I could sit down and work it out for you but you're better off faxing Fulham asking one of their support engineers to fax you back a chook scratching showing how to wire your particular PC tubes to the workhorse 5. It will take him/her all of 10 minutes.

BTW You might want to mention to them that those are crap wiring diagrams and they need to be FAR more detailed if they expect the average Joe to work them out. As a design engineer, I would have been shot by our assembly people if I gave them that piece of toilet paper to work off.

Archived