ReefCleaners.org

Good or bad?

4251c

Because I'm an idiot and do not know how to resize my photos (Kodak easyshare system, any advice would be appriciated), I'll describe this thing. It seemed to spring up overnight, its a clear green tube with small "arms" that end in balls a second tentacle (minus the arms) is stretched out to the lr next to it. Any advice...Thanks.

Tough to say w/o a photo, but maybe a vermetid snail (non-motile, and doesn't look like a snail) or terebellid worm?

Oh, like Caulerpa racemosa? Pretty stuff, nice in small amounts, but in larger amounts it can be risky. It likes to periodically (read: randomly, without warning) go sexual and purge its entire contents, leaving behind a clear whitish frame of stems and turning your tank's water cloudy white. Icky stuff...No way to stop it. But then again, I have some in my in-tank fuge that, *knock on wood*, hasn't had a problem. Isn't much, though--a handful. Read up more and make your own conclusions.

Great I have plant in my tank that like a horny teenager will have nocturnal emissions. If I keep it small, is it beneficial as a biological filter? Will any of the cleanup crew take it out when they are introduced?

Will act as a biological filter, like any macro, but in small amounts it's pretty pointless. Chaetomorpha--"chaeto" or "brillo pad algae"--is better for this purpose, because it doesn't go sexual. The crew may or may not eat it; generally not a lot likes to eat Caulerpa species.

How do i get rid of it properly? Cut it at the base of the rock? I fight a losing battle with weeds every year because of not getting the entire root. Is it easier in sw? Much appreciated.

Try pulling it off the rock. The bits of root will regrow, though. Just keep at it. A small amount won't hurt anything, anyway.

Archived