Coral Vue Hydros

bristle worms

vanessa

??? I just set up my nano 5 gal tank. I bought LS and LR fuji cured about 5 lbs. I noticed when I turn off the lights on the tank these UGLY, bristly worms come out to party and they bring their own beer! At first I thought there were only 2-3 but now I have counted at least 8!!! I don't mind a social gathering but I didn't say anything about a keg party! What can I do to get rid of these things? When I try and catch them with the net they just squirm back into a hole. Any ideas?

Leave em be.

You can't control every tiny detail in your tank. If you come across any really nasties that are threatning your deliberate occupants then eject them. Otherwise enjoy the bio-diversity.

Or Suck em up and toss em in the disposal.

Salim

What totally sucks is when bristleworms start raiding your fridge.

These may not actually be bad guys. Most bristleworms are just algae and/or detritus consumers. There are only a few really nasty ones. I'd leave them alone unless you're sure they're the bad kind.

The small, purple and ping ones that look like centipedes are beneficial, IMO.

Several of my reefing friends have noticed clean up activities as stated by chufa.

They have been requesting LFS save them for their large, reef tanks.

I have an inch long vivid red centipedey looking one. Good or bad? Also, how long does it take for them to turn into the 6 inch long monstrosities I have seen posted recently?

Archived