Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano in 10g Marineland Bio-wheel kit

lostdog

Since this is my first post, I'll just quickly introduce myself, and then get to my question. I've had freshwater aquariums for the good part of 10 years now. First a 10g, now a 20g. My 20g is a moderately planted tank, and some fish. Upon adding a couple fish last week, I saw my LFS had a "Fish of the Month" club for kids, so I signed my 2 year old daughter up for it. Since my tank is for the most part full, I needed to get a tank for her (ok, so it was just a good excuse to get another tank into the house). ;) I bought her a Marineland 10-gallon BIO-Wheel aquarium kit for $40 seen at the following web site: (http://www.marineland.com/pr/con_pr_kits.html). It had everything that she needed, plus there was a promotion to get a free 25W Visi-therm heater ($25 value). It was such a nice deal, I went back yesterday and bought another for myself to use currently as a quarentine tank. Now on to my question...

I was thinking to possibly use this tank as a nano-reef. Lighting is my big concern though. In this kit, the hood holds two incandescent lights, and I would definately want to get PC lighting, but I can't afford some of the more expensive sets. I was looking at the JBJ 19" 36W clip light and was wondering what people thought of it with a 10g. I would definately be sticking to the easier livestock in terms of requirements, so I believe 36W should be fine. I wouldn't have any problems getting a retro kit if I knew it'd fit in that hood, though my guess is that it probably wouldn't. Also, the filter that came with the tank is a penguin Bio-wheel. I've seen people mention running a power filter on their reefs (for circulation without media), but should I use it with or without the bio-wheel? I'm also leaning towards getting a Zoo Med powerhead for circulation. Is there anything more in terms of hardware than I should have. From what I've read, it looks like I'd have enough once I get my lighting and powerhead.

John

I am a brand new reefer myself, so take that into consideration with what I say. More light is certainly better from what I hear, but there are some successful nanos in the member sites that have no more than what you mentioned. I would look around at those member sites to get an idea of what other people are using. As for the bio-wheel, some use it and some don't. Some say it makes your nitrate levels pile up because you will have many more aerobic bacteria than anaerobic ones, but one experienced reefer (afraid I forget who) said that otherwise you would just have more toxic nitrites and ammonia building up, and that you shouldn't have a nitrate problem unless you are overfeeding your tank or not doing frequent enough partial water changes. As for the free heater. . . most of the people here seem pretty adamant about using Ebo Jager heaters, and also apparently with reef tanks keeping a very constant temperature is desirable, so many suggest using a larger heater than you would normally think (generally a 50 or 75 watt heater). As I said, this all comes from research not experience, so if you hear different from someone else. . . I claim no expertise.

Good luck.

First off.... welcome to the board dog! Suuuuup?!

Okay, now promise not to get ####y? Lovely little setup for you daughter, I'm sure she'll dig it and cool that you are startin' her um "real early" in the hobby.... (admit it, it was for you even if it's going in her room,hehehehe) For you though.... If you wanted to do the clamp light that would be fine. You could have a lot of lower-light stuff and make fer a pretty little setup. But if you use that light you have to ditch the hood yes? By the way I got a chuckly out of the "tilt up safety hood"... guess that's so it doesn't fall on your head when yer getting a drink or bobbing for bryopsis. Anyway.... if you ditch the hood, and you really don't need the bio-wheel and you can get a 50 watt Visitherm online for 15 bucks... and it's a 8 dollar tank, just wondering how good the deal was. Know what I mean?

If you keep the setup I would definitely look into putting a retro PC kit in it.... I'm sure, no positive you could fit something in there. Check out our lovely sponsors here.

If you are talking about one of those, cough *pain in the ass* cough, PowerSweep things.... don't do it! Great idea, but they have to be meticulously maintained to insure they work and even then no guarantees.... I would just get a small Maxi or MiniJet or even one of the "micro powerheads perfect for nano's" things ;)

Good luck with your "daughter's" tank and your pending nano!

printerdown01

Why ditch the hood all together (unless you don't like it)? Why not just slap in a 28W or a 32W retro with a 50/50 spectrum? There are some cheap 28W retros out there... I'll look around for you, and send ya' a PM if I can find a link somewhere for one...

I was hoping to be able to keep the hood and to just take the incandescant fixtures out and have looked at a few other options. I just picked up a utility light at Lowes that I am hoping to retro to work in the hood. It's got 2 13W 6500k bulbs in it each on seperate switches for $25. If I get another of these lights, I should be able to easily fit 4 13W tubes into the hood, and get two blue replacement bulbs.

i saw these kits at one of the local super pet supply joints and immediately thought the same thing-could be nice as a nano! like printerdown said look for a 28 or 32W pc retro or work some magic with the utility lights-you can get your 13 W actinics at our sponsors store hellolights.com! glazer :P supports this kinda DIY-ing-check out his tank its been the featured nano since reagan was in office! i like marineland HOB filters so that'll provide some nice circulation and a place for carbon/chemical filtration if its ever necessary. i run the biowheel and have low to undetectable nitrates! nice insurance if you ask me! with all the bells and whistles we put on our nanos they tend to run hot-lighting, powerheads, etc. this considered i think a 25W heater will work fine (just down turn the heat off at night to the room its in)-and there's plenty of peeps here that swear by visitherm. anyways- good luck with the system, let us know if more questions come up! and powersweeps blow-not water of course (don't know who i stole that from but... a shout out!)! get a minijet or something like that. HTH!

~TG

It is the one mentioned in the DIY forum. That's where I got the idea. :) I took it apart last night and it looks pretty easy to use as a retro. The AC in splits to a plug on the light itself, and to a circuit board. Board has wires coming off it for the two switches and wires for the bulbs. Should be easy to mount in a hood as long as you can keep the circuit board waterproof, and have some extra wire to extend the connections from the circuit board. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

Don't buy the PowerSweep and I am sure a Custom Sea Life 32 watt retrofit with a 50/50 bulb will work out nicely in that hood for about $50. You can go cheaper on the lights and rip them apart as mentioned but for the quicker & easier setup (also, you don't want to accidentaly electrocute your daughter) I would go with a retro fit kit.

Archived