Cultivated Reef

New 40 gal

JJshiv

Im not sure if this is can be considered as "nano" but its close enough I guess. This is my new tank I just got from someone who had it for 3 years. The transport went really good and everything is doing great. The filtration is done by about 60 lbs of live rock, 30-40 lbs live sand, a hang on back protetin skimmer, and an aquaclear 200 without the carbon insert. As for the livestock, theres many living things in there that I am still discovering. The corals are 1 torch coral, 1 hammerhead coral, 1 huge green finger coral, a bunch of pulsing xenia, a giant mushroom, numerous other small mushrooms, some blastumussa coral, some type of brain coral, and some others that I dont even know how to name. Theres also some hermits, 1 snails, some sea slugs, and a brittle star that I want to remove because it is reputed to be an excellent fish hunter. It ate all the fish the previous owner ever put into the tank. The lighting is from a 2x65 watt power compact retrofit kit. So tell me what you think of this set up. Its the largest tank I have had and I got it for a steal of a deal with everything included.

I do have one question though, my protein skimmer is putting out a lot of tiny air bubbles. It seems to me to be too many but maybe this kind of skimmer just does that. I believe its made by Lexan. Is this skimmer supposed to do this, or is there some sort of adjustment I need to make? Thanks.

ViewImage.dll?userid=jjshiv&album_id=119226&image_id=0&courtesy=1

ViewImage.dll?userid=jjshiv&album_id=119226&image_id=4&courtesy=1

ViewImage.dll?userid=jjshiv&album_id=119226&image_id=2&courtesy=1

Your tank is beautiful lad!

I am planning on moving up to a larger tank soon. I love your coroline algae. What system are you using as far as chems goes?

SmartaZaWhip,

Thanks for the complement. There is no special chem product that I use, or the guy that had the tank before me. I just got this tank so all I am doing is continuing to maintain it the way the previous owner did. I keep all the importent chem levels where they should be and test it weekly. So far, everything is going good. I have though about using B-Ionic but I havent committed yet.

Archived