Coral Vue Hydros

5g hex lighting & opinions

FCLymond

Hey all,

Thinking of setting up an eclipse 5g hex on my desk at work (7g and 6g at home evidently not enough to satisfy my nano craving...:) ).

Couple of questions:

Is this the right lighting kit to use?

http://www.hellolights.com/13wretrokit.html

If so, what use would this be?

http://www.hellolights.com/13watbalkit.html

Also, how happy are people with this tank? I know a couple of you have them, and have posted nice pics of your setups -- any downsides as far as maintenance, heat, etc?

Thanks.

FCL-

i have pretty much the same setup. i used the hellolights "ballast" kit and bent the eclipse reflector into position so that it now holds my light and reflects. i would opt for the "retro" kit though-i think you basically get the reflector free (since the bulb isn't included in the ballast kit-could be wrong-but get the retro kit). during the summer i found my tank to overheat a lil because of the hellolights integrated ballast/socket design. i installed a radioshack 2" fan that's on the same timer as my lights. now my temp doesn't fluctuate at all. 25W Compact thermal heater that i love-keeps it real stable. fans are noisy though and one of the reasons i'm tearing down this tank (search for small fans-glazer posted a link the other day that might be good-low voltage + low amp fans=slow/quiet fans). i'm moving up to a 10 hex glass-for a couple reasons: #1 fewer overheating issues with a bigger tank, #2 wanted surface skimming, #3 because i've scratched the tank up pretty good since september, trying to remove coralline algae (not much other algae growth!:) ) you could potentially go with more than 13W-like 2x13W, but then heat issues would be severe! under my 1x13W 50/50 bulb i have few types of mushrooms, gsps, a colt, xenia, an encrusting gorgonian, some zoos, all which seem quite happy! small tanks can be a PITA to work on, and this one is no exception-as you have to take the whole hood off for any type of maintenance other than feeding. i do weekly 1 gal waterchanges have about 8-10lbs lr and same of ls. seems to be a very stable tank. i run the biowheel (not sure why?) and some carbon and phos sponge in the tray, and an extra throttled down minijet 404 for circulation. HTH!

TG

My husband has one of these. We put an 11w 6500k compact fluorescent bulb w/ mogul base in the hood. Instant heat problems. They were resolved easily enough; we just left the little hood door open.

I don't recommend these for any serious aquarist. Removing the whole hood every time you want to do anything in the tank gets annoying very quickly. And they are a PITA to aquascape. And it's acrylic = you'd probably need to swipe the sides daily to prevent coralline from getting a foothold on it.

But it's a great tank if you're getting it as an upgrade to one of those stupid little betta "palm" tanks or betta vases your relative has.

I have a 2x13w from petsupplysiquidator on top of my 5 hex. Daytime temp gets up to maybe 84. A little high. I didn't get fans in the hood so I'm getting a price so I can put them in myself. It has some drawbacks but I geuss all small nanos do.

If it was easy everyone would do it! ;)

Thanks for the quick replies -- I really like the look of your tank, TwinsGuy!

Netwizz--what are you doing about filtration? HOB? Does the hood from PetSupplyLiquidator just sit on top of the tank, and does it overhang? I was thinking of modifying the hood of the eclipse, but I notice that TwinsGuy has mentioned in a couple of threads that he wishes he'd gone 2x13w.

thanks FCL-

its looking even better these days (number days...until the changeover). i should mention that for my new 10 hex i had bruce at PSL buld me a custom hood, and i'm very pleased with it. if a size he mentions on their page doesn't fit maybe he can cut something down. i highly recommend him! GL!

Twins

No HOB yet just a little powerhead. I do a 1 gal water change every week which seems to be working. I'll probably get aquaclear mini someday soon. Here's the hood sitting on the tank. The little bit of overhang isn't really noticable when you look at the tank.

hood.jpg

Archived