Top Shelf Aquatics

Please help newby .....for a classroom project

peteUK

i am setting up a 12 gallon nano for a classroom - so need to keep on the low cost side. (and basic for now) - i will be taking it home after to keep.

i have bought a 12g nano cube with live sand (in a pack).

i set up the tank water @ SG 1.022 and added the live sand and have filter running.

next week i am going to add 10lbs live rock

thats as far as i have got.

when can corals be added and what do people recommend. the children want a clown fish (nemo so could an aneome be added?

Thanks for all you help - i will be asking a lot of questions.....

Hi Pete. I wouldn't plan on putting an anemone it a stock 12g NC. There isn't nearly enough light to meet their needs.

You can definitely have a clown without an anemone, so go ahead with those plans.

As far as the cycle goes, do a little searching here on NR and you will find tons of info. Just add livestock slowly over time(after the tank is cycled,I mean).

You can also find lots of info on easy, low maintenance, corals(zoos, softies,etc...)

Sounds great for the kids...

Rob

hmm...salinity you want to keep maybe around 1.024. i would probably add another 7lbs of live rock. at that point...let the tank sit for about month. you are gonna want to wait for the 'cycle' to start and end. otherwise if you start adding livestock prematurely, you risk crashing your tank. i would say by roughly the end of the third week throw in a couple of snails(cleaner crew). its crucial that you are testing the water as well. in terms of adding an anemones, i would avoid it. you are already pressed for space and anemones will move around if they dont like a particular spot and possibly stinging corals along the way. not to mention, the lighting on the nanocube will not meet the lighting requirements of an anemone. dont forget to get heater if you dont already have one. get a refractometer if you are using a hydrometer. with this hobby, theres really no 'low cost' way.

Archived