Innovative Marine Aquariums

Do 29 gallon tanks make good nano-reef tanks.

Hazenwolf

I have been researching alot on reef-tanks and I am just about ready to take the plunge in starting the tank. I need some advice though about 29 gallon tanks. This is about the largest size I can fit in my living room at this time. My question is should I just buy a regular 29-30 gallon tank or are those instant marine tanks with Eclipse filters systems anygood?

Thanks in advance.

I believe that the 29 gallon tank is at the cusp of what may possibly be considered "nano." Should you choose to add a HOB filter, which would increase your water content to 29 1/2 gallon, you will no longer be considered nano, thus will not be allowed onto the boards at nano-reef.com.

:P is a joke

You'd think the eclipse system is a great packaged deal as it's "all in one" and equally present in the LFS as it is in the department store, but end up gutting it all out to get in your lighting needs, etc. However, there's TONNAGE of info on the eclipse setups here. Re-search your research. Some love 'em (they're very clean looking, yes?) but just for the cosmetics.

Also, depends on your DIY skills and general reef maintenance knowledge. Maybe you could look at doing a 20 Long (same foot as the 29 but shorter?), it's what I'd do although it seems to have nothing to do w/ your question - my mind runs on one track "bright ideas."

Research? Re-search. Use the button of enlightenment.

I got an Eclipse system at the beginning of my tank, and got rid of it a few weeks ago. It was great for some feather dusters and a couple fish, but if you want corals, I would not get an eclipse unless you want to do a lot of DIY work.

good luck

:happy:

I am running an Eclipse 2 hood over a 20 gallon.

I modified the hood by adding a 32w Smartlite retrofit in place of the twin bulbs the hood came with. I use the mech. filter the hood came with as another means of water circulation.

Occassionaly i add carbon or filter pad, but for the most part that's all I use it for. I like the clean lines of the Eclipse hoods, but like others have said, they don't leave much room for anything.

I am probably going to upgrade to a 29gallon system soon and will NOT be using an Eclipse 3 hood. Just not enough flexibility. i am removing the Eclipse 2 retro lighting, and adding it and an additional 32w Supernova and 2 - 24" combo bulbs. I will have to DIY on a new hood, but I think my inhabitants will be much happier.

My wife's kinda bummed about the Eclipse 2 hood that i wrecked, but i will probably end using the 20 gallon for something with less lighting needs.

HTH

I am running a 29 gallon reef. I thought about the 20 L and I have one collecting dust but I went with the 29 gallon for the added height. The added height comes in handy for equipment. The first 14 inches of my tank which is already taller than a 20 L is LR the rest is filled with powerheads and protien skimmer. In the 20L you have to make room for this stuff around your LR. If you've got the room for a 20L I recommend a 29. Its only a few more bucks and as they say more water less sensitivity to changes.

A 29G was our "starter" reef tank. We have enjoyed it immensely so far and it has been very stable. The dimensions are nice and give us ample of room to keep plenty of our softies. :) I have seen the Eclipse 29G starter kits in a few stores and it also looks like a good deal, but like many mentioned here they might not be the most suitable tank for a full micro reef setup. HTH.

I would highly recommend going with something in the 20 - 30 gallon range for starters. I orginally started with a 10g, and now after moving up to a 20L I wish I had started with it (not really all that much more expensive than the 10g).

Also, unless you're experienced with electrical wiring, woodworking, and plastic modifications I would stay away from the all-in-one solutions for the freshwater masses. The lights just aren't powerful enough for saltwater needs, and adding on new (and often useful) modifications can be quite difficult after it's set up (perhaps even before =).

Summary: 29, good! All-in-one setup, bad! =)

Good Luck,

Jason

A 29g tank has a number of disadvantages.

- Lighting doesn't fit well over it (21" PC over 30" tank) leaving dark spots

- You need more powerful lighting for the extra water depth

- You need a lot of live rock for it to make it look good (50lbs)

- With so much live rock you usually get a lot of macro algae but the tank is not large enough to support the type of fish you need to control it.

- You need a heap of cleaners to keep the glass and sand looking good.

- You need a decent skimmer for that sized tank IMO

- Two powerheads leave dead spots low in the tank

- Moving it is a PITA even when there is only sand and an inch of water in it

- You need a custom hood

- A well stocked tank is very expensive ($1500 - $2000 min.)

- Not a pleasant size to work on and not enough front to back distance for anything other than a wall of rock.

Go for a 7g, 10g or 20g for a starter tank. I've tried nearly all sizes up to 29 + 10g and the smaller tanks always seem to work out better for me.

You'll hear a lot of anti-Eclipse on here, but I ran a 6-gallon Eclipse for 2 years and it was one of the easiest maintenance-free nano's I ever ran! Just upgrade the lights!

I'm with Pikelet - don't do the 29G. I currently have 29 and it does have a number of disadvantages.

1) Lighting - my is lit by 2x55 CF, not nearly enough light for alot of animals, I just have some softies - shrooms, zoos, xenia, gsp, etc. Unless going to MH, you'll be pretty much stuck with the softies, but even with MH you may not get enough lights of the far left or far right since the tank is 30" wide.

2) Dimension - the tank itself is only 12" wide. Not very much room to do any "scuplting". Place corals in this environment is kinda of b*tch.

3) Total water volume - is not all that much for some larger fish - no tangs, angels, butterflies, etc.

If you can swing it (and find some) - 30 or 40 breeders would be a much better choice... 36L x 18W front to back.

-Ed

JBJ sells a 30 inch light fixture for under 200

JBJ's for sale

Get a sally light foot crab for the macro. He's never hurt a coral in several months.

The Prizm Deluxe for under a hundred bucks is a perfect HOB protien skimmer for it.

I started with an eclipse 12 and after 8 months went to a 28 bow front. Much better tank. My 9 yr old has a 20 L that I maintain for him. Height can be an issue. It works well with 2 32wPC lights and a pair of power heads. Simple system that does well. I really love the 28 bow front. What a view! I have very easy to keep stuff in both tanks. All softies and simple crabs and fish.

Archived