Top Shelf Aquatics

10g sump design

nanoman

Will this work? I will be drilling a 1 3/4" in my 20H All Glass for a 1" bulkhead. I am not sure if I should make an internal overflow box or just use a pipe with an intake screen just below the water level. Any suggestions and why a box is/not better?

hmmmmm that sump looks familiar :happy:

if your DIY box leaked at one of the seams, say at the bottom ALL of the water from the main tank could exit through that seam, outcome X) :o and lots of profanity. I would just use a pipe or two (at opposite corners) with intake screens.

depending on what sand you use and the flow your expecting, it could disturb the sand big time. In other words never ending dust cloud in your tank.

After your tank is up and running and it has finished cycling you can remove the filter media (sponge and floss) IMO.

Dont forget to use a silicone that is safe for aquarium use. I always look for something that is NSF approved.

Good Luck!!! :D

Thanks for the reply deskjockey. I would build the box at the top of the tank with the hole about 4 inches from the top so incase of a break or power outage the siphon would break. But I still like the ease of a intake screen.

I did notice one thing on the second baffle where the water goes under, make sure it does not go all the way to the top! If your sponge or floss become too clogged with debris and crap, water will flow through it much slower. Therfore backing up in the first chamber and if that baffle goes to the top of the tank then the water will eventually overflow.

I think I explained that correctly

and if this sump/fuge is to sit under the main tank, make sure the exit of your return tube does not sit in the water of the main tank... if the pump stops (power outage) you'd have a syphon back into the sump/fuge which could be bad....

ummmmm the return line is supposed to be under the waterline ???

Otherwise things can get rather wet (and not in a good way). I personally have never seen someone plumb the return above the water line. Thats why you adjust the water level in the sump to accomodate the water that will siphon down.:

Hmmm.. maybe it's just from my experience with my top-off bucket (almost overflowed my freshwater with an accidental siphon from the main tank after the water level was reached).. I can see what you mean by needing it under the surface.. I haven't put a fuge in yet.. still doing research with the way my tank is configured.. just seemed kinda similar, but I see your aspect..

Xavier-

You are correct with having the top off line above the water :happy:

Yeah imagine a 180g tank (6'X2'X2') with a 5g top off bucket. If that line was 2 inches under the water that large of a surface area (12 sq. ft.) ohhhhhhh man that would be 14.36 gallons! X)

Yeah.. they are separate worlds.. that's just what I was realizing.. that the fuge return should be under the surface, but top-off return should not.. learn something new every day :)

Archived