Coral Vue Hydros

I must have the only good 24g nano made

spark

Although I have given up on my 24g nano, I would have to say I may have one of the only good ones made.

First, DHL dropped the box off and put it directly behind my garage. So my wife backed out and pushed it halfway down the driveway with her car. I thought for sure when I opened the box, it would be shattered, but that was not the case. That was at the beginning of May. So I filled it up, modded it, put in metal halide, fans the works and never found a crack on it. It ran for 3 months no issues.

I recently replaced it with a 30g Oceanic which I like very much. Well, I was carrying the nano down my steps this morning and missed one step, and yes landed on my bad knee. (Sucks getting old - Blew out my ACL in March along with other knee damage and had reconstructive surgery - 3 full months of rehab and no more basketball with the young guys!) I fell down with about 4 stairs nano in hand on the hardwood floor, but not really hard. No breaks no cracks. I was amazed.... I thought I would be laying in glass at the bottom of the stairs. Best of all my knee held up as well!

Don't get me wrong. I have moved on. But ironically, mine just does not want to crack or break.

ebzhighestbidder

And i must have the third one. Bought it used, i dont know how they treated it before. Put it in my car and drove down with it for 3 hours, set it up, been running for like 4 months now. Not a scratch.

LOL, I find this thread to actually be helpful. Although I have Nano Cube 6, I am sure lots of NC24 owners are trembling in fear! Come on, all the non-cracking nano cubes post here so we can feel even more safe!!! LOL

Hey, I don't use a nanocube anymore. I switched out to the 30g Oceanic. I will likely not ever go back to anything smaller than a 30. And yes, I was afraid of a catastrophe. I have two little girls, one 9 and one 4.5. An electrical - water mix could be fatal for someone that young. It just isn't worth taking the chance. So I wasted about at least $500 on that cube with all the mods I made. I suppose some hold up the way they are intended to be engineered, but quite a few do not, and so I am willing to eat the $500 and write it off to experience.

I don't own a 24, but I have talked to the owners of my LFS's, and both report a crack rate of around 1%. One guy says he has sold over 300 and has had 3 crack. Of course I take this with a grain of salt, but I think the 24's are a lot safer than you might expect just from reading the posts. People who have a legitimate gripe are more likely to post on these threads than those who are happy.

Bill

i have a 24, never had a problem at all, i modified the back wall, have a custom skimmer in chamber one, lr rubble and chaeto in chamber 2, SCWD in chamber 3, added bulkehads at the bottom of chamber 3 for additional scwd output, switched out powerhead, added 13Watt fuge light, and an additional 72watts of pc lighting.....and i have yet to have a single solitary problem with the structure of it. I've even emptied it completely out, thrown it around the back yard while rinsing it out, brought it back in, loaded it back up and gone again. I'm not saying that i dont sleep with one eye open....But im just one of the few without a problem i guess. I'm happy with mine, and what i have gotten out of it thus far, however,I to will probably opt out for an upgrade in the near future. But that's mainly for other reasons and options.

Lets get one thing clear. The problems with the 24G cube cracking is miniscule in comparison to the number produced. It only takes one bad apple to spoile the whole bunch baby! Don't be so stressed. 24s Rock! They were the first to offer such a small reef supportive system, and the few horror stories you hear are just that, a few. Billm is right, those who have had the problems are more likely to gripe out loud and blow it out of proportion, than the hundreds of thousands of 24G owners who have not had a problem and are more than satisfied. I must say, all my LFS's report the problem, has long since been resolved and the mob mentality surrounding these boards is pathetic. If you like the cube, buy one, don't listen the very few who have problems, chances are you won't. Long live the cube!!!!

nanoskimguy

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that if I had one that cracked I'ld be screaming bloody murder! But there is just no way the crack rate is anywhere near as high as a lot of folks seem to think. Maybe it is too high (one would be too high if it was my tank!) but if I already owned one I wouldn't be losing (much) sleep.

Bill

I have 24g dx nc since may, moved it with water(only half)45 miles and 3mo later no cracks, no problems. The prob of it cracking is kinda low, but if mine did, I would be ####ED!!! So to everyone who has had one crack, i feel your pain. But i have had a GREAT exp with jbj.

Yes mdt178, same situation with mine. It sits in my basement, but my brother-in-law wants it. He used to have a 125g for several years. I was a little reluctant to give it to him, but then again mine 24g has had no issues and I modded quite a bit on it.

Just look at the number of people on this thread who have not actually had a problem with their 24, but are replacing it because they are afraid that a crack may happen. I suspect the perception of the problem far outpaces the actual fact.

Bill

I loved my 24, and had it up for almost a year, the only reason I moved on was I ran out of room , and needed a bigger tank. I would have no problem buying another, if i want to downsize in the future, but I will probably have to upgrade my upgrade sooner than expected.

-Mike:)

As in the words of the great McDonalds, "I'm Lovin It!". I've had my 24dx for a month now, after driving it 3 hours filled with 4inches of water and 2 inches of sand, buying it from an Ebay auction. It has held up great, and I'm really enjoying starting the hobby. I plan to move into a house sooner or later, but during my college education, and then I'll get either a big 65 or 125 long or something. Until then, 24 is it for me!

My only gripe is with fish jumping into the back and how paranoid this thread has gotten me about cracking glass! :)

Well my 24gallon NC is now 5 1/2 months old and no cracks, leaks or anything. (Stops typing to quickly knock on wood. ;))

I feel for those that have had such horrible luck with their NCs. I do not want another JBJ tank, but This one is with me till it does crack. Paid way to much for it, since Aquapods seem to be $50-$100 cheaper out of the gate. WOW!

But, I can say Spark is not the only one with a good tank. Maybe ours came out of the same shipment :P .

TrekBear

Archived