SaltCritters.com

New 40g Bow, and thanks Junglejim

Satchmo

Haven't been very regular here this past week and there's too many damn new threads to even bother with. Dave- sorry ya had to go... and welcome home.

Remember my post about the 55 that had to go? Well I got me an early Christmas present the other day- a brandy new AGA 46g Bowfront :)

I hooked up w/ Junglejim83 yesterday who was forced to break down his nano. He gave me all his rock, sand, and livestock. Thanks a heap, Jim. When you're ready to set-up again, let me know. You'll have free fragging licence from my tanks. Anyway, stuffed my nano with whatever corals I could save (water was pretty cold from the drive from Philly, but all the nicer stuff rebounded well), and put the rock in the new tank. I filled the tank up enough to cover the rock and threw in a heater and powerhead. Now I'm sorta stalled until I can find some sand. I've been to 3 Home Depots looking for southdown, but I don't even know if they carry the stuff in the winter. If anyone in the area has seen some lately, or has extra to sell, let me know. I wanna get this thing rolling.

Originally posted by Satchmo

Dave- sorry ya had to go... and  

I hooked up w/ Junglejim83 yesterday  

You cheeting on me AGAIN ! you bstrd.

its a nice tank. Did you get it reef ready? keep an eye on the front glass seals. Ive had a few customers silicone lifting off.

YIKES ! I dread it.

SIde note, Sorry about not calling fer skiing. I figured what with the rain and all you didn't go. Mush Boarding is no fun.

ttyl.

This one's for you Satch:

And then God created NEW JERSEY....

Once upon a time in the kingdom of Heaven, God was missing for six days.

Eventually, Michael the archangel found him, resting on the seventh day.

He inquired of God. "Where have you been?"

God signed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards

through the clouds, "Look Michael, look what I've made."

Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, "What is it?"

"It's a planet," replied God, "and I've put Life on it. I'm going to

call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance."

"Balance?" inquired Michael, still confused. God explained, pointing to

different parts of earth.

"For example, northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and

wealth while southern Europe is going to be poor. Over there I've placed

a continent of white people and over there is a continent of black

people," God continued, pointing to different countries. "This one will

be extremely hot and while this one will be very cold and covered in

ice."

The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a land mass and

said, "What's that one?"

"Ah," said God. "That's NEW JERSEY, the most glorious place on earth.

There are beautiful lakes, rivers, streams, hills, forests, and a

magnificent ocean! The people from NEW JERSEY are going to be handsome,

modest, intelligent and humorous and they are going to be found

traveling the world. They will be extremely sociable, hardworking and

high achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats

and carriers of peace."

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then proclaimed, "What about

balance, God? You said there would be balance!!!"

God replied wisely, "Wait until you see the idiots I'm surrounding them

with in New York, Pennsylvania, and Delaware! "

:D

Don't think I've ever seen a joke where Jersey comes out on the winning end.

"they will be known throughout the world as diplomats

and carriers of peace."

Tell that to the chick who threw a handful of pennies at my car at 70mph when I wouldn't let her cut me off. Never seen someone's face so red. I happily drive a POS and welcome antics like this, so we just started laughing at her which really ####ed her off. I think she was reaching for more pennies before she got lost in traffic.

Dave- We did go skiing Sunday, went to Elk in PA. I had my cell in case you called, but you didn't miss too much. Broke in my new boots. They're so comfy I wanna walk around the house in them. By January conditions should be kickin'. I'll let you know about the next trip.

That's the best part of the joke satch. Jersey on the winning end. hehe.

I want to go skiing. My skis sit in my closet, collecting dust. My boots? Banished to a barn in the hamptons, never to bee seen again. Poles? dunno what the fruck I did with them. Probably with the boots. I was going to buy new boots and poles last winter when I went skiing and I opted out thank god. Now that the baby is coming I won't see a trail for a few years. Can't wait to take the tykes on the slopes. Should cost me about a grand a day in lift tickets by then.

Oh and for the record, parabolics are for chicks that can't ski. Until one of my super long slats breaks, I will refuse to use those odd shaped things people ski on these days. I did demo a pair two years ago and, while the skiing wasn't bad on them, I missed the fun and fear associated with skiing on my Rossi twin long boards.

Originally posted by Crakeur

Can't wait to take the tykes on the slopes.

TykeS??

I said the same thing about the shaped skis. I skied on 195 K2 Racings for years. Loved them, but the racing skis are so stiff. They really take a toll on the knees. Demo'd some parabolics when I was looking for a new pair and it was like skiing through butter. Call me a puss, but I bought a pair. They're really sweet in heavy powder- they don't seem to sink you in as much as the traditionals.

Thanks to Pgreco, the elusive Southdown sand has been located. I'll be taking the trek out there after rush hour. If anyone else local needs some, let me know before 7. Pete, I owe you a beer.

Originally posted by Satchmo

TykeS??  

IThey're really sweet in heavy powder- they don't seem to sink you in as much as the traditionals.

Tykes as in when we have the second one, which we plan on doing in the next two years. Oh, and the third thru 10th until I have a boy (last in the family so no son and the name dies with me).

Regarding the skis cutting thru powder, that's great but when was the last time you skied the east coast in powder?

Originally posted by Crakeur

Regarding the skis cutting thru powder, that's great but when was the last time you skied the east coast in powder?

Good point. We do try to get out west once a season, although it didn't happen last year, and won't this year either. Last year, we hit Hunter after they got 15" (think it was the first and last good storm). We were actually on our way to Jay Peak (closest thing to skiing out west w/o having to fly) but blew it off after we heard about Hunter's accumulations. It was sick- you'd think you were in Colorado. My legs hurt thinking about it.

Unfortunately, most trips within a reasonable drive amounts to downhill ice skating. I still like the way the parabolics feel, even though I still get ###### from friends about buying the girly skis.

Do you know what you're having, babywise, or is it a surprise?

Oh and Dave- the tank isn't reef-ready, which is alright cause I'm not doing a sump anyway. That silicone problem is around all the front glass seals? The tank was just made in November (and inspected by Judy, according to the little scrap of paper inside), so hopefully they fixed any reported problems along those lines. That would #### me off real quick if this thing starts a leakin'

Went to take the ride last night to the Home Depot where Pgreco found some Southdown for me. I managed to locate another store on Rt 46 which is about half the distance, so I figured I'd give them a call. I even went as far as to give the girl on the phone the SKU number so there were no mistakes. She told me they had a pallet full. When I got there, all they had was the silica based playsand, no southdown. Alright. At least the store Pgreco found on 23 will have some. So up there I go, walk to the outside-garden-whatever section and found one lonely bag of SD, which was opened and spilled onto the floor. Talked to a guy who looked in the computer and said that this bag was the only one they had. Argh. Then, he tells me the store on 46 has 110 bags. That's the friggin store I was just at. What's the matter with these people? Now I'm aggrivated and sandless.

• 2 weeks later...

I began my 46g on the 26th, and its goin great so far! i have a DSB of southdown, (4-5") And i am waiting in the LR/Base Rock.

Ill leet u know how it goes,

And Satchmo, keeps us posted, im very interested on how yurs is going

Good to hear yours is going well. Right now, I have a 4" bed of southdown and about 20lbs baserock. Got a little sidetracked on the main LR order (see the other thread), but I'm expecting a shipment of 45lbs tomorrow morning. How did you end up lighting yours? I took the lazy man's way out and retrofitted the stock strip with a 96w 50/50 PC. Should be fine for what I have planned for the tank.

Im just using the reg. old NO one. I dont have the time/money t odo another reef, my Nano, will be my reef, this is my FOWLR.

MAybe if u get on AIM we could talk about our tanks.

Daniel

I'm on AIM, but it's shut off half the time. Never been a fan of the chat thing. Good luck with your setup. I'm waiting on a part I need to (hopefully) get my digi cam working again. If it works, I'll get some pics up.

Archived