Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Water Temp

diverrk

What are your temps, tank size, lighting config.

I have 2x18 50/50 and 1x18 actinic. I seem to be satble around 81 approx. I check with 2 thermometers one a food thermometer and a coralife digital. The food therm reads 2 degrees lower than the coralife. Anyway, I went and purchased some coral and a clownfish lat night, and for the heck of it I asked him about the proper temp. He said around 77, I told him I'm at 81 he said it's kind of high for coral. His staement was different than and other guy i aske at another LFS I was told that it is ok around 81.

So who's right ??

Temp is fine. I run 80 most of the time and hit 83 tops on really hot days. Never had problems with my fish or corals. Low temps in freshwater and saltwater for tropicals is a leftover habit in the industry.

I like to have my tanks at 80, but there is no problem running it a few degrees cooler or warmer. From what I've learned, it's all about acclimation and consistancy. I've finally gotten my 12g NC with 70w MH to stay consistantly between 79 and 81.

Originally posted by Blu50Stang

I like to have my tanks at 80, but there is no problem running it a few degrees cooler or warmer.  From what I've learned, it's all about acclimation and consistancy.  I've finally gotten my 12g NC with 70w MH to stay consistantly between 79 and 81.

Well stated Ross:)

Originally posted by embryoguy

bluestang, how are you doing that?  

do you have one of chri's 70 editions or artamons retrot fit, 5 fan modification?

My GF and I both have canopiesw from reefcanopy. Ours have a 70w MH and a 28w Actinic retrofit kit. I've only had this set up for 4 months, and she for 1 or 2. Both cubes are in air conditioned rooms, but I've tested mine in 80 degree ambient temps(it'll get up to 82). It just came down to getting a large enough fan blowing across the surface of the water. Mine has (2) 3" fans - one runs when the lights are on and the other has never been used, but is there just incase.

Archived