Coral Vue Hydros

Recommended lighting for 35 cm tank?

Sausage

I'll be using this tank to start a small nanoreef. It's approximately the size of a 35 cm cube.

drainedtank2.jpg

What lighting do you recommend? My canopy can be fitted with 2 20w PLC 6500k lamps. Is this too much or too little?

just by looking at it my guess is it is no more than 20 inches long so i would go with 2x32w power compacts. it is somewhat deep though so maybe a 70w halide and an actinic pc....just some thoughts. if you could give us measurements it would be easier.

That tank doesn't look any bigger than 15g to me. I don't know what 35 cm is in inches but I'd just go with some PC's, MH's are too expensive!

Its about 14-15 inches.

I would go for quite strong lighting as it is fairly deep, though you could make up for this by using a deep sand bed eg 4 inches or so, which not only would give a good setup for nitrate reduction (providing you have a good DSB critter colonies) but also reduce the hieght from lights to subatrate.  

Nishant3789

yea just divide by 2.54 inches, heh math finally payed off. IMO, id get either a 2 X36 watt or an MH since the tank looks a bit deep. is the 36 cm tall or length?

nishant

Has anyone seen 32w PLC fluorescent lamps with screw-in bulb connectors? The max I've seen here are the 20 w tubes by Philips.

Hi

Just out of interest, just thought I would show you a couple of pics of my 35.5cm (14 inch) cube with 150 watt 10kk metal halide light

Full%20Tank.jpg

(Edited by Paul G at 7:08 pm on May 31, 2002)

Archived