ReefCleaners.org

What kind of anemone is this???

bluebastion

Majano anemone. I had a ton of them in a FOWLR tank years ago. Not harmful in a FOWLR tank, but may end up taking over your reef tank. Considered a pest by many reefers, coveted by many newbies. Find a newbie and sell 'em for $2 each. :)

Yeah, it'll hurt your zoos and any other corals. Take it out. (Remember, cutting/tearing only propagates them.)

perhaps you can tell us what to look for, i see an aptasia and possbily a closed up baby zoanthid or a mojano. if you're referring to the sucker in the dead center of the pic, then that's an aptasia...if you're referring to the guy to the left of dead center(closed up) i'd think it's a baby zo or a mojano. so yeah...clarification would be nice.

either way, you're gonna want them both gone, so kill them with joe's juice, lemon juice, boiling water, kalk paste, etc. :D

I am talking about the guy in the center... I know what a zoo is... (.. insert stare with long pause...) It is not aptasia... I know what that looks like..... unless it's a curly cue aptasia... which I have no experience with... this anemone has a green mouth... which you can not see in the pic.

alright, confirmed by many... it's aptasia... doesn't look like the pics I had seen before (that have longer flowing tentacles) but many of you have said it is... and I trust your experience. Is this a different type of aptasia? It would be nice if it could be specifically identified. Just curious.

There are lots of variations on the "typical" Aiptasia and Majano. Nevertheless, they all have the same annoying habits of sitting by corals and stinging them (often quite powerfully), and reproducing in record time. I'd take it out regardless of what it is...Just my opinion.

go peppermint shrimp go! that is all I have to say. Right now I'm finding more and and more aptasia starting to pop out, so I figure 1 peppermint can have a hayday in there....if only they survived in crappy water like the aptasia does! only a few more weeks hopefully!

the straw idea i saw somewhere is in effect in my tank. I will give it 2-3 days to see if it actually works. basically i have a straw stuck in the hole the aptasia retreats into. this should block its light and water flow, and eventually the straw will become his new home as he reaches out for light and water. then i pluck the straw out and no more annoying aptasia!

Archived