inTank Media Baskets

Baby banded trochus snail!

Korbin

My banded trochus snails have been spawning regularly over the past few months. I was always hoping to see the results, but I never saw anything until last night. I just happened to be peering into my eclipse filter at night with a flashlight (don't ask) and I found a little baby banded trochus! Out of the thousands of eggs, this one must have gotten trapped in the filter and grew up in there. Here are some pics.

Here it is in a plastic cup, so you can get an idea of the size.

Luckily I had my 2.5 with no inhabitants and plenty of algae just waiting there, so I plopped him in. Here he is scooting around on the rocks of his new home.

LOL @ his fathers eye stalks

Good job, thats great to find little gems here and there. I know a fellow who keeps finding small rapidly growing cleaner shrimp in the bottom of his skimmer, he says he cleans it out twice a month and has been putting them in a grunge tank he keeps and growing them out.

nice korbin, i tried putting trochus in my tank, they all konked out, but i've got some small baby ones in there???? i dunno if they are hitchhikers or babies... lol

that reminds me, i always have to save these big fat amphipods when i clean out the AC 300 heheh

he has baby cleaner shrimp in his skimmer? dang i tried my best to raise the little suckers and the best i could do was keep them alive for 2 weeks and this guy has them raising themselves. i hope i have that kind of luck when i have kids.

My cleaner shrimp haven't had any kidlets yet but my peppermints have had a few broods now. I have a sponge filter on a power head in a 20 and they seem to be doing well there, largest ones are up to 1/4 inch maybe, but yeah, in the skimmer... odd isn't it.

Archived