SaltCritters.com

12000k Blue = Actinic?

sandsrfr

Recently bought an 18 gallon AquaVia tank that came with this blue bulb and a white bulb (not called out as far as temp on it).

My plans are to change them out with a 10k daylight and Actinic 03 bulb (which my lfs is getting in tomorrow), but I just wanted to check with the minds as to whether this bulb is actinic?

Thanks,

Sandsrfr

Actinic is blue blue, and doesn't really have a color temp since it's not full spectrum (though it's frequently given a color temp in the 7000s for some reason I do not understand). A 12,000K bulb probably looks blue next to a lower color temp bulb. What you're interested in is the color that white surfaces reflect. Take out the "white" bulb and shine the 12000K alone on a piece of paper or something. The paper will probably look white, maybe with a blue tinge.

Under an actinic bulb, the paper will look blue because actinic bulbs emit only blue light. Also, without the cooler bulb in there for comparison, I bet the 12000K bulb by itself doesn't look quite so blue.

I doubt there's a whole lot of difference between a 10000K and a 12000K. Probably not enough to justify replacing one with the other. But I haven't seen 12000Ks myself so you're the best judge of that. If the actinic+12000K combination looks too blue, you might want to consider actinic+6500K instead.

I have the same set up. VIa Aqua 18 Gallon. I am getting new bulbs for Christmas. Actinic and 10,000. I will let you know how it looks. The white bulb is a 7,100. I think that Via Aqua sells cheap bulbs to help keep the price down.

Thanks for the replies.

Stevec:

I'll have to try the paper trick on the blue bulb. Right now the color combination doesn't seem to blue to me, but the tank isn't set up so its hard to judge.

Qsails:

I'm going to be picking up the bulbs from my lfs tonight, so I will try to test them out and report back on the difference between the 12k blue and an actinic bulb. I currently have the fixture all ripped apart. In the process of doing 2 mods to it (running a seperate power line/cord from the transformer so that I can put a timer on each ballast) & now I am installing 3-blue leds inside the fixture to create a moonlight effect during the night (not sure if I am going to timer these or put them on some sort of photosensor switch).

Thanks again!

Sandsrfr

(newbie refer)

Archived