SaltCritters.com

live sand

majic051

It is probably "OK", but is it worth the price? I think not.

Live Sand is so easy to get/make. In most cases, if you have plenty of Live Rock, it will seed your sand with lots of critters. Bacteria will naturally start to grow as well. Very quickly, your dead sand will become very much alive.

Want to give your sand a real kick? Go to the LFS and ask them if they will give (or sell cheap) you the scum on the bottom of a LR holding tank. Want to kick it some more? Try to trade sand with reefers in your area.

You will end up with sand that is far better than those expensive bags of wet sand and probably a lot less expensive.

printerdown01

If you can find it (sorry I don't know the maker), there is a live oolite (oolitic aragonite). I don't know the cost, but if its under $25 I would spend the $ on it. The sand will have bacteria, but it will be totally void of any pods or worms. As long as you get good LR, the worms and pods will eventually take over the sand bed. Another tip, try and get ahold of a reefer in your area... Trade them a cup of your sand for a cup of theirs (not that you have a lot to offer them biologically in trade, but at least they aren't loosing sand in the deal). -This sand will help seed yours.

It's OK. I used it when I first set-up my nano and my tank never went through the cycling spikes. So, even though it is void of critters, the beneficial bacteria are there. My prob is you buy a 25# bag and throw 1/2 away! This last time I redid my tank, I just went to the LFS and got 7# live and mixed it with aragonite. Same results and didn't waste 1/2 a bag of stuff!

i had good experience with the bagged live sand in my girlfriends tank. it never had a detectible cycle. it said on the bag that it wouldn't but i was skeptical untill i saw it for myself.

Archived